Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car not appearing on Tax or mot checker
Simon

posted on 29/12/22 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Car not appearing on Tax or mot checker

I've been sent details of a Rover P6 that looks like an ideal project - lots of rust and new parts supplied!

Trouble is, the chap never put the vehicle in his name and only has the original blue V5. I've looked at gov.uk's mot and tax checker and it doesn't appear on there.

Car has been off the road since 1982, he got it in 2017. He's on fb, been there along time, also on this particular group for 5+ years so gut feeling is he is genuine and bitten off more than he can chew

Should I be worried or is it the case that if vehicle hasn't had owner/v5 details changed in an eternity, it's not be put on the computer and all could be ok ?

obfripper

posted on 29/12/22 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
It should show up if it has ever had a printed V5, i have tractors on the farm that show up as last taxed in 1979, i know the driving licence went computerised in 1973 but don't know the year the dvla did, but is likely to be between the two.

The blue v5 sounds right for it to be on the system, i'm sure the brown logbook is the only older option. I have had a vehicle that would only show on the tax lookup, but not any factors vrm lookup, but this sorted itself out once the car was taxed/mot'd, i assume it's an anti ringing thing to stop vehicle details being leeched.

There's also this from the vintage sports car club;

quote:

5. I have evidence that my vehicle has been taxed since 1983 [old tax disc, old V5], but DVLA says
my vehicle is not recorded on the computer. How can this be?
There was a period in the 1990s when the capacity of the DVLA computers was causing concern. For a
brief period, while the system was upgraded, records for vehicles that had not been licensed for some years
were backed up and removed from the main computer to increase capacity. Many of today’s front line staff
at DVLA do not know of the backed-up records. You need to apply again, this time enclosing a covering
letter explaining why you believe your vehicle should be recorded.

We also bought a tractor a few years ago that had only a blue v5, sent it off but didn't get anything back, then filled out a v62 form with all the relevant details and a copy of the invoice, and it took about 3 months to come back ok.

Dave

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/12/22 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd take a good photocopy for safe keeping and just send them the V5 with the change in ownership, some new photos of the car showing the reg plate and a covering letter explaining some background on the car. I can't see them having any difficulty sorting it out.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 30/12/22 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Gents, I'll add it to the list of potentials
SteveWalker

posted on 30/12/22 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've looked and found details of company cars that my father had and which were likely scrapped in the 1980s on there, but no record of a car I had around 2000. It's very inconsistent.
CosKev3

posted on 30/12/22 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
I would tell him to sort out a new V5 before risking buying it.
nick205

posted on 30/12/22 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
I've looked and found details of company cars that my father had and which were likely scrapped in the 1980s on there, but no record of a car I had around 2000. It's very inconsistent.

Ditto

Company cars I've had:

2004 scrapped, but still on GOV MOT site
2008 don't know, doesn't appear on GOV MOT site
2011 still on road still on GOV MOT site

CosKev3

posted on 30/12/22 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Ditto

Company cars I've had:

If they are on private plates now they won't show up

obfripper

posted on 30/12/22 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
The mot history is also on a separate database, this can be different as cars are not removed here when scrapped, but as pointed out do change when a plate is changed on both systems.

Dave

cliftyhanger

posted on 31/12/22 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Additionally, many car clubs have a DVLA "officer" who can help with all this stuff, and know how to go about getting "lost" cars registered etc.
nick205

posted on 5/1/23 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Ditto

Company cars I've had:

If they are on private plates now they won't show up

Aware of that, but the 2008 car was a base of the base model Passat estate. It was worked hard by me for 3.5 years with work miles + family life with 3 young kids. It left me edging 100k miles and fairly tired inside and out.

Nowt as starnge as folk, but I'd be surpised if someone had put a private plate on it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.