Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Funny Little story
jacko

posted on 11/2/24 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Funny Little story

The other day a mate of mine asked me to look at his wife’s car as it would not start .
I had a look and asked him to try and start it no go But turning over ok so got him to open the bonnet I could see nothing wrong.
Then I said are you pressing the clutch pedal the answer I got was no Press it hay pressto. It started
The funny part is they have had the car for about 8 years and I know my mate drives it about

[Edited on 11/2/24 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 11/2/24 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
My missus once called me out about a 'flat battery' on the jeep, because she'd forgotten, after 5 years, that you had to press the clutch for it to turn over!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SteveWalker

posted on 11/2/24 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
They've probably been pressing it without thought for years and then forgotten, just the once and not pressed for the subsequent re-tries as the sequence has been disrupted. I was certainly taught to hold down the clutch, check the gearbox is in neutral and then start the engine, before letting the clutch up slowly - in days where the car would actually start without any of that.
Slimy38

posted on 11/2/24 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
They've probably been pressing it without thought for years and then forgotten, just the once and not pressed for the subsequent re-tries as the sequence has been disrupted. I was certainly taught to hold down the clutch, check the gearbox is in neutral and then start the engine, before letting the clutch up slowly - in days where the car would actually start without any of that.

Aye, I was taught the same to hold down the clutch to start a car. The first time I came across a car the required it I was doing some work on it. I knew it was in neutral so I reached through the window to start it, and nothing...

My current car is a DSG, but it has a red 'footbrake' symbol on the dash and won't let the car start without the brake being applied.

gremlin1234

posted on 11/2/24 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
you have to press the brake on many auto trans cars
jacko

posted on 11/2/24 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
On my astra clutch to start and brake before turning the electric hand brake off

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 12/2/24 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
It is a pity that the clutch to allow starting feature of modern manual cars cannot be overridden. Some years ago, the underbody jets of a car wash soaked the ignition of my car and it would not start. I was able to use the starter to drive it out of the car wash, allowing it to dry out out of the way.

Many years before that, my father's car cut out when driving through a ford. We left it for some time to dry out, before having a sudden revelation and realising that it was not wet electrics at all, but the impact switch having cut off the fuel pump, as the tow-bar bottomed when entering the ford. Once reset, we were on our way. Again, we had managed to move the car, on the starter, to clear space for traffic to pass us while we were stuck and mistakenly letting it dry out.

nick205

posted on 12/2/24 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
On my astra clutch to start and brake before turning the electric hand brake off

My last VW Passt (B6 estate, electric parking brake) was the same, clutch pedal to start, brake pedal to activate/deactivate the parking brake.

Guy who bought it from me had to have an "operator lesson" before he could drive away (after he'd bought it).

rusty nuts

posted on 12/2/24 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Best part of 50 years ago when I was an apprentice I was sent out on a breakdown , my manager had collected a customers mk10 Jaguar and managed to stall it at a junction. When I arrived I jumped in and started it. When asked how I started it I said pressed the starter button, I was sworn to secrecy by a red faced manager!

bi22le

posted on 13/2/24 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
My sister in law travels asked me to look at her cigarette lighter as the USB charger was not working on her phone. After basic checks all looked good, I plugged in my cigarette lighter usb and all was good. Turns out my brother had swapped cigarette lighter adapters and her new one was really short. It could not reach to the bottom of the socket for the positive feed.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 13/2/24 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
My sister in law travels asked me to look at her cigarette lighter as the USB charger was not working on her phone. After basic checks all looked good, I plugged in my cigarette lighter usb and all was good. Turns out my brother had swapped cigarette lighter adapters and her new one was really short. It could not reach to the bottom of the socket for the positive feed.

SWMBO's 2017 car has a USB socket for charging and connecting phone to stereo.

Charges and connects her phone fine.

Connects, but refuses to charge my phone (not enough power). Had to resort to a USB cigarette charger and Bluetooth isnstead!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.