Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Gear change
Oliver Jetson

posted on 23/2/05 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Gear change

Could someone quickly confirm which direction the gearchange of a 1999 R1 engine goes?

When mounted in a car and if you where sitting in the car is clockwise on the gearbox output shaft for downshift and vice versa for up?

Cheers,
Oli

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/2/05 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Oli

The picture on this page (3/4 way down) would suggest that anti-clockwise is up the gears. This assumes that Im right in saying that a race shift layout is one up, 5 down, but I wouldnt rely on this as they might even have changed something inside the box to reverse it, rather than mod the linkage.

chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
It is 1 down 5 up I think. The linkeage length is how u change it.

So - looking at the shaft, anti-clockwise is first from neutral.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/2/05 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep but is race shifting not t'other way round, so they can upshift whilst canted right over in a left hand corner (its very tricky to lift your toe upwards to change up on a road bike when leaning right over Ive been told)

chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but you make a race shift by extending the linkage - nothing more so the shaft shift pattern stays the same.

And yes a race pattern is MUCH easier in a corner!!!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/2/05 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
That doesnt make sense (in my head anyway ) - if the road bike is 1 down 5 up, the linkage needs to be reversed at some point in order to make it into a race pattern of 1 up 5 down doesnt it? The pic I was posting about said it had a race shift pattern which would lead me to think that pressing down on the pedal would turn the shifter arm anti-clockwise - shifting up the box?

chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
the actual shaft does the same movement but by lengthening the linkeage you change the way the pedal goes (some bikes need a whole new linkeage unit) but the key is - the linkage is changed NOT the gearbox.
chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Look here
Race pattern Rescued attachment race.jpg
Rescued attachment race.jpg

chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
On a standard the 'pole' would go to in front of the footlever pivot point and be shorter.
chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
The actual lever in the car I would setup as Soopy says
chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
You could aways put the lever on, put it in neutral (light will come on) and then shift the lever.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/2/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunkielad
On a standard the 'pole' would go to in front of the footlever pivot point and be shorter.

Thats the bit you didnt say about in the first post which was confusing me, cos just by "extending the linkage" doesnt change it around, you need to change the pivot point or put the linkage on the other side of the pivot

So, after all that, the above pic shows a race shift of one up 5 down (am I correct, Im still not sure? ) - if so then to answer Oli's question, clockwise movement of the selector shaft changes down, anticlock changes up on a stock bike?

As to the shift on the car - do you guys really like push to shift up? Feels totally alien to me, as you accelerate everything is pulled back by g-force so pulling back feels natural, and likewise changing down your body shifts forward under g forces, so pushing the lever feels right. No right or wrong way tho, just remind me never to let you lot have a go in my car if we're using the opposite direction!

chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Good point on the lever direction - may do that myself as it seems common sense!
dern

posted on 23/2/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
This is a picture from the workshop manual...

R1 gearchange
R1 gearchange

If you push on the lever to get the bike into 1st the rod will be pushed to the left and the shaft will be rotated clockwise.

Regards,

Mark

[Edited on 23/2/05 by dern]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 23/2/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i'm with you on this one Chris, braking hard into corners i would find it impossible to pull back on the lever, i jumped in a Stuart Taylor BEC that was other way round, i got back out pretty quick before i crunched the box too bits.

If it aint been soted yet, surley you just need to find nutrual, then see wich way it changes gear more than once, thats got too be "up" the box, or am i missing the point......

[Edited on 23/2/05 by Jon Ison]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/2/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
The majority seem to side with us, but as Jon said, ST put them the other way as do a couple of other smaller manufacturers. That probably sways people's decision when setting their own cars up, and once you've tried one way its probably hard to change.

chunkielad

posted on 23/2/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
looks like Dern i right
dern

posted on 23/2/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
As a slight aside... where would I get a shifter thing that clamps on to the selector splines? I've just paid 7.50 for a sprocket lock nut and washer so I'm not that keen on asking mr yamaha again. Are there any breakers that anyone could recommend?

Thanks,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 23/2/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
They all seem to use the same spline from what I've seen. I found an old one lying round at the local bike shop. He said I could have it as they didn't know what it was off. It fitted My ZX9R spline.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

OX

posted on 23/2/05 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
yes chris ,you are right,racers change the pivit or gear change layout out so that pressing down on the gear lever(the one by the foot) to go up the box.
On R1 turn the gear selector shaft anticlockwise to go up the box

[Edited on 23/2/05 by OX]

[Edited on 23/2/05 by OX]

Jon Ison

posted on 24/2/05 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
i know MK do em, just a splined collar that you weld your own arm too, post shunt be much.......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.