Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best handling 7
ADD

posted on 21/6/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Best handling 7

Is there a clear winner out there for best handling 7 style car?

Any input would be helpfull, I am interested in a good handling cars' set up to base mine on.

Cheers

andy d (rizla)

posted on 21/6/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
no such thing as a better handling seven than another,its all down to the correct geometry set up and suspention and tyres and brakes etc etc

each is made by the builder to suit them

if you watch F1 BOTH SHOEMAKER AND BARRAKELO drive ferraries but both have them set up differently for the same track and condition

ps. my vortx is the nuts in the handling department
sorry couldnt resist

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 21/6/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
... but different wishbone lengths and angles will alter the camber control significantly. You can set up static camber and toe very finely but that's only half the story.

Also, don't some have live axles, some De Dion and some IRS? surely that will affect the handling?

mandbsheldon

posted on 21/6/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy
andy d (rizla)

posted on 21/6/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
to a certain extent yes,it will make a difference,but some drivers prefer live axels,some prefer indipendant suspention,

its down to personal choice,and what suits your driving style

its easier to mod a car to the driver but its very hard to mod the driver to the car

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 21/6/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the Stryker is generally thought to be one of the very best and is often at the front in mixed make racing or sprints/hill climbs.

Maybe there are fundamental design reasons for this but I'm not sure.

Cheers

Mark

ned

posted on 22/6/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
i would rate the striker highly, race results speak for themselves imho, it has track pedigree.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/6/05 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
no,your all wrong,its the MK INDY!
bimbleuk

posted on 22/6/05 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'm biased to the Striker because I have one

It was however one of the first designs to incorporate things such as inboard suspension and offset engine location. Its also quite compact and light even in the kit car world.

As for IRS or Live axle. Well both can be equally as good but IRS tends to give better ride quality on road and Live axle works well on a smooth track surface.

DarrenW

posted on 22/6/05 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
The Mac#1 ZR has good handling. Helped a lot by better weight distribution as the engine mounts are further back - less weight over the front end etc.

At the end of the day they are all custom built so its down to build spec, set up and driver skill. I doubt many people have the opportunity to back to back several cars with similar set ups to make the comparison.

carnut

posted on 22/6/05 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
All very well moving the engine mounts back on a pinto engined car but if you do it with a bec, you end up with a massive weight bias towards the rear.
stressy

posted on 22/6/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
in General as a "jump in and drive" then in my opinion a caterham
a or a "well set up" westie. I was quite impressed by the striker tho a bit too stiff for my tastes.

WHO DARES SPINS

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.