Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative Airbox Required
Genesis

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative Airbox Required

Hi all - I'm looking to change my airbox for a more suitable alternative to the standard blade box as I don't belive the box is releasing the power it is capable of.

I'm looking for someone to advise me of a suitable place for me to get hold of a new box more suitable for my purpose. I've heard the pipercross airbox's are particularly noisy so reluctant to fit one of these.

Anyone know of a supplier?

Going fishin'

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Triton on here

[Edited on 8-12-05 by zzrpowerd-locost]

Hellfire

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
It just so happens that this is an avenue we are looking into, in an attempt to reduce induction noise on our Indy for trackdays. It really depends how deep your pockets are. The people at Reverie do airboxes for both Caterham and Westfield BEC's, however they are quite expensive. There is another source of airboxes we are currently exploring and are presently awaiting delivery of one as we speak. Details will appear on our website (in the Modifications section) if/when the installation happens.

You have U2U

Genesis

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone have any examples of his work as I'm interested?

Going fishin'

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genesis
Does anyone have any examples of his work as I'm interested?

Tritons? look in his photo archive

Hellfire

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, I'd be surprised if an aftermarket airbox would be as good as the original one that Mr Honda provides with his engines. I'm also not familiar with Pipercross airboxes - do you mean Pipercross filter by any chance?

Phil

Genesis

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry - yes I meant the pipercross filter, I'm still a bit new to this

I'll have a look in Tritons' pictures to see what they look like. Now all I have to do is find his posts'...

[Edited on 8/12/05 by Genesis]

Going fishin'

Triton

posted on 8/12/05 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Airbox Rescued attachment Airbox 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Airbox 2.jpg

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Genesis

posted on 8/12/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Crikey - not what I was expecting Triton!

How does it fasten on? What filter does it use? Any explanations would be great...

Going fishin'

Triton

posted on 8/12/05 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
If going on bike carbs you will need to save the inlet rubbers. As for what airfilter, that can be a K&N then ducting up to the airbox. Rescued attachment Airbox 1.jpg
Rescued attachment Airbox 1.jpg

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Genesis

posted on 9/12/05 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry it may sound like I'm being thick here - are you suggesting the Airbox goes onto the carb trumpets using the rubbers. The filter is to be mounted on the end of ducting which leads to the front of the car.

OR

K&N fits inside the airbox (sausage type) with open mouthed ducting leading upto the front of the car.

Sorry...

Going fishin'

uklee70

posted on 9/12/05 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Come on are we not supposed to be copy merchants!!!!

Triton get onto the reverie site and copy their's I'm sure they wont mind

I would have one if you were to sell them at a reasonable price thats what has happened with their seats !!!!

I think they have even been good enough to put pdf drawings and measurements on there site

If it is made with a seperate blank back plate it would make it easy to fit a bit like a sausage filter.

also a nice 100cm inlet for all that lovely cold air and the more cold air itching to get in your carbs or throttle bodies the better!!!!!

As for a filter if it is a 100cm inlet we can use a reverie cone filter that fits the inlet as they aren't that expensive!!!!

go on triton you know you want to!!!!

I'm sure a nice cateringvan owner will lend you their's to look at

Lee

Hellfire

posted on 9/12/05 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Lee,

I think you'll find that Reverie aren't quite that daft. The only PDF files which show actual dimensions are for their Naca Ducts and Alloy Bell-mouth Intakes.

No surprises there then....

There are some good pictures though, so they shouldn't be too difficult to replicate.

decay

posted on 20/12/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the new Pipercross Airbox to suit their 600 series base.
http://www.pipercross.net/newsletters/600airbox_0705/

I think it would look better sticking out of a bonnet than a standard foam lump. Rescued attachment 600_baseplate_hires.jpg
Rescued attachment 600_baseplate_hires.jpg

ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/12/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Im not convinced thats big enough, the calculations to properly design one are very complicated and you really need proper fluid dynamics software to simulate the flow and gain with pulse tuning etc, but there's some very rough rule of thumb for airboxes which when I worked it out for the R1 engine was somewhere around 10-15 litres (the standard R1 box is around 10L ISTR) - Id say that one is nearer 5L, if that?

Hellfire

posted on 21/12/05 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
So, what are the important factors you need to consider and how do you calculate the size of an airbox required for a given engine??

Smartripper

posted on 21/12/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

What about a custom made aluminium airbox, the pictures are from my ZX12R, it's polished aluminium and looking nice.

It's complete calculate by some racingguy with a software programm.

Also it's going exactly under my bonnet. Rescued attachment DSC01151.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC01151.jpg

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/12/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
So, what are the important factors you need to consider and how do you calculate the size of an airbox required for a given engine??

Ive been out on the work Xmas do and had a few too many, so I will just copy n paste this for starters, which was originally posted by someone on Blatchat

quote:

First: Have as big a volume as possible arround the trumpets. The volume between the trumpets and the engine is as important as that above the trumpets. Ideally, you should mount the airbox to the cylinder head and have throtles, injectors, fuel rails, inside the airbox.

Second: Whilst you wont find huge gains in static pressure over an 'open' trumpet design, you can easily destroy the static pressure. You have to keep the expansion, between the inlet and the plenum, laminar. In practice, you should look at an expansion where, if you took the areas along the inlet and mapped them to a cone, the half angle of the cone would never be greater than about 10 degrees.

In addition, the sitting of the filter is important. It does far less damage to the airflow if it is placed where the air is slowest, i.e. within an inch or so of the trumpet mouths.

G.Man

posted on 21/12/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smartripper
Hello,

What about a custom made aluminium airbox, the pictures are from my ZX12R, it's polished aluminium and looking nice.

It's complete calculate by some racingguy with a software programm.

Also it's going exactly under my bonnet.

Looks nice..

You will probably have to block off those reed valve covers post SVA if you dont want to:-

A. Have your headers glowing red
B. Have flame spitting backfires from the exhaust..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hellfire

posted on 21/12/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Smartripper, do you have any more photographs from different angles or better still the actual dimensions? Do you know what the volume of the airbox is?

Smartripper

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Send you the dimentions HellFire.

You don't get redhot headers and backfire, because the size is accurat, and i've got a PowerCommander witch is going too be dyno'd next week.

Smartripper

G.Man

posted on 22/12/05 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
smartripper

You do if you leave those reedvalve, kawasaki kleenair breathers open...

Its nothing to do with your airbox

Mine is also completed and mapped onto the PC3

[Edited on 22/12/05 by G.Man]

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.