Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track Day noise regs
uberf1end

posted on 16/2/03 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Track Day noise regs

Does anyone know if I will need a repackable silencer for track days? I have a fireblade engined Stuart Taylor with the standard exhaust they fit?

A rough db level would be helpful...

Also, what sort of establishments would be able to test it for me?

any help much appreciated

Jasper

posted on 17/2/03 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Stuart Taylor should know what his are set too, I've got one too and I've got to ring him today, so I'll as. I think most tracks are around 103db???
ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/2/03 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
My blade has a ST exhaust and can on it (which is repackable) and it tested at 103dB @ 7000rpm when I got the guy at Goodwood to put his meter on it for me. I wouldnt take this or anything else as gospel to what you will achieve though, as cans will invariably vary. Other things also have a factor such as whether you are using a foam filter, or using the standard airbox (which will be quieter), although induction noise generally comes into play with drive-by noise tests as opposed to static tests, as the noise is only apparent when the engine is under load.
As it is, there are tracks that dont really have a limit as such, and certainly dont actively test. Other tracks have very strict regulations and can be as low as 98dB. Overall, I would say that if you plan on doing lots of track days at various locations, look for a quieter can than the ST one. I am going to get a new can before the summer, so I can get book up more days without the concern of failing the noise regs. I will probably go for a Tech-craft can as one put on a friend's Megabusa seemed to quieten it down loads.

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 17/2/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Jasper

posted on 17/2/03 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Chris

Cheers for the tip, I've just sent my unused ST silencer back for a refund. Now if only I can get thro' to Tech-craft and speak to them, they're permanently engaged.....

Just got through to them, I think I'll pass on theirs, it may be very good, but at £275 +vat and postage, I think not.....

[Edited on 17/2/03 by Jasper]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/2/03 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jasper

Yeh they are pretty pricey, but very well made silencers, and the way I look at it, if I get turned away from one single track day with the ST can cos I'm just over the limit, then the Tech-craft (or another quiet can) has pretty much paid for itself.

cheers

Chris

Wadders

posted on 17/2/03 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't you get a standard bike can for trackday use, they come cheap and are well quiet.

Al

Originally posted by Jasper

Just got through to them, I think I'll pass on theirs, it may be very good, but at £275 +vat and postage, I think not.....

[Edited on 17/2/03 by Jasper]

Jon Ison

posted on 17/2/03 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
on the dyno the standard blade can gave better power than a Micron, but my Race Art can gave more, trouble is it also got me a black flag for noise, anyone going to Donnington can pick my micron can up, its under bridge just after the old hairpin ???

remember it Jasper ???

Jasper

posted on 17/2/03 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
How could I forget - I've still got the burn scars!

I think I'll wait till I take it to be dynojetted - the chap their sells cans quite cheap.

Jon - I can't get an ansa from you on the u2u, wot offset alloys did you buy, widely available Sierra ET38, or ones that are right for the Cortina axle ET18?????

locodude

posted on 17/2/03 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Jasp
Jon's got ford focus alloys on I believe which are ET39/40 I think.

Jon Ison

posted on 17/2/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
ive had plenty of U2U's but none from Mr Carrot, yeap, Focus wheels, offset unknown...by me anyhow...........

had loads a trouble with "freeserve" too, anyone else havin probs ?

Jasper

posted on 18/2/03 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Jon, dont know what's going on with the u2u's then, I've sent u at least 3, very strange.

Freeserve - i ditched them some time ago, kept dropping the line, or taking ages to dial up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.