Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR1100 and GPZ900 Sump
Guinness

posted on 28/1/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 and GPZ900 Sump

Right, following last weekend, when I lost all my oil I am sorting out the spare engine, just in case I have to fit it.

When I first installed the ZZR into the Indy the sump was well below the chassis rail and I was looking to get it chopped. However Rorty very kindly told me that the sump from the GPZ900 has the same bolt pattern and oil ways as the ZZR1100, but is noticably shallower. I took his advice and bought a GPZ900 sump and fitted it. But this was while the engine was in the car and I was working upside down.

This time I'm doing the swap with the engine out and I thought I'd take a few photos and post them up here for general info.

First up the oil pick up pipes, on the left the ZZR1100 one in plastic and on the left the metal GPZ900 one.
pick up pipes
pick up pipes

Next up a side view of both sumps, GPZ on the left and ZZR on the right. You can really see the difference in heights, although the drain plug does look a bit of a weak spot!
Difference in depth
Difference in depth

Then the underside of both sumps.
side by side of sumps
side by side of sumps

Finally the inside of both sumps, GPZ in the front, ZZR at the back.
internal of sumps
internal of sumps

Hope that this helps someone?

Mike

stevec

posted on 28/1/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
On the subject of the sump plug, I have carefully removed 75% of the hexagon which on my GPZ1000 engine leaves nothing protruding under the chassis rails of my Indy.
The hexagon is over deep and if you are going to use a decent socket most of it is a waste of space.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.