Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Switching Rad Fan
Ferrino

posted on 27/3/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Switching Rad Fan

I'm using the rad fan from the R1, which is normally switched on by the thermo switch in the rad. I would like to add a manual override switch on my dashboard (the ones I have are rated 16A) and was wondering if I should use this switch to operate a relay instead of switching directly?

The fan fuse on the bike is 7.5A, so I'm guessing that load is fine for a 16A switch to carry, or am I missing something (maybe related to the relatively long run from dashboard to rad at the front)? Think I'm just confused 'cos most 7s seem to use a relay to switch the fan, but these bike fans are pretty small I guess.....

Thanks

[Edited on 27/3/06 by Ferrino]

David Jenkins

posted on 27/3/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I would use a relay with anything that has a motor in it - it's not just the running current, it's the start-up surge and the switch-off arcing, that eventually screws up switches.

Unless you put a big, fat switch on your dash, that is. If you're fitting a light-weight decorative switch then a relay may be a good idea.

DJ

Peteff

posted on 27/3/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a switch on the dash which bridges the radiator switch, that would do the job. If the fan runs on a 7.5 amp fuse your 16 amp switch should be alright.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

BKLOCO

posted on 27/3/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is the switch rated 16A ac or dc if its ac then the dc rating will be a lot lower.
I would use a relay personally as the back emf from an inductive load could easily burn the switch contacts and cause high resistance which will cause the switch to overheat and ultimately fail.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

nick205

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
use a relay, then you know the switch will be Ok in the long term and you won't be back reppeating the job a short time down the line.
Ferrino

posted on 27/3/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I think I will stick a relay down by the rad. Does the following quick-n-dirty diagram look about right?

speed8

posted on 27/3/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I can see from the wiring diagram you could just take a feed from the wire to the ECU and switch it to ground.

Like this.

fan bypass
fan bypass

If this is wrong can somebody tell me cause this is how I'm planning on doing it.

jimgiblett

posted on 27/3/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
No need for a relay just use the existing ECU fan controller

If 98-01 model by taking the green/black to earth

9801 Fan Overide
9801 Fan Overide

for 02-03 model by taking the green/yellow to earth

0203 Fan Overide
0203 Fan Overide

- Jim

[Edited on 27/3/06 by jimgiblett]

speed8

posted on 27/3/06 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I was trying to show with my amateur drawing. My switch is coming off the Gr/Y wire to the ECU.
jimgiblett

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speed8
That's what I was trying to show with my amateur drawing. My switch is coming off the Gr/Y wire to the ECU.

Oops yes should have read your diagram first

Ferrino

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, but my engine & rad are from a '99 R1, and unless I am mistaken (quite likely!), there is no fan relay or ECU control - the power just goes straight from the fuse and into the thermo switch (which lives inside the radiator) and then onto the fan motor.
jimgiblett

posted on 28/3/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a look at the wiring diagram and you are right (no relay just a thermo switch). Thus I'd agree with others and put in a relay.

- Jim

Ferrino

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Will do - cheers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.