Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: top speed
carnut

posted on 22/4/03 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
top speed

As ive nearly finished my build and am very close to getting on the road i keep wondering what kind of acceleration and top speed i will expect to get.
Could some of you who have bec's on the road tell me what there top speed and 0-60 times are. If you couls also include engine spec and car weight i would be most greatful.

thanks
Carnut

Jon Ison

posted on 22/4/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
A lot is down to gearing/diff ratios but ive seen over 130mph and timed at sub 4 secs 0-60.............

higher top speed = slower 0-60.

158bhp, around 450kg, without my slim belly on board of course.

chrisg

posted on 22/4/03 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mines faster than Jon's

Whatever he says, and mine does Jon's top speed +1 infinity so there.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Simon

posted on 23/4/03 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Carnut,

As Jon says, it's all down to gearing (lets assume you have a reasonable about of power).

My R V8 engined effort, with the current 3.82:1 diff has a theoretical (coz I haven't started it yet:-) ) top speed of 120.16mph (5500rpm) which I reckon it'll do.

If I put in a 3.08 diff, that becomes 149.03, which it probably won't do - not without another 100 horses.

For acceleration the 3.82:1 should be quicker to 60 starting in 2nd gear, changing to 3rd. However, with the lower ratio, I could do the whole sprint in 2nd, so I may lose enough time with the higher ratio, just cos I've got to change gear.

So, not knowing what engine etc you are using your acceleration could be 0-60 in 3.5 ish like Mr Ison to 10 (ish) if you're using a standard 1.3 crossflow and a top of between 80 and 150.

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 23/4/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Carnut,

Just read your profile and am guessing that you are using a Blackbird engine in an Indy.

I reckon it'll be quite quick!!

ATB

Simon

andyd

posted on 23/4/03 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Excel spreadsheet

You may like to try my spreadsheet. Just adjust the figures highlighted in yellow to give you theoretical speed in each gear and revs in each gear at a certain speed.

You'll have to find out the actual gearbox ratios for the Blackbird lump though as the ones on there are for a '96 Fireblade.

Enjoy.

Andy

Forcus

posted on 13/5/03 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the spreadsheet!! Now that I have everything laid out, I know that a 4.11 rear is just not going to work.
andyd

posted on 13/5/03 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forcus
Thanks for the spreadsheet!! Now that I have everything laid out, I know that a 4.11 rear is just not going to work.

No worries, glad to be of help. After all that's what we frequent this forum for.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.