Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BECs and cats
MK9R

posted on 18/5/03 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
BECs and cats

I've heard so many different views/stories i'm very confused over what exhaust system i will need to pass SVA and MOT's.

I have a zx9 C1 (1998) and the current plan is to use a tiger manifold and collector and the bike can. What will i need to do to get through the tests.

[Edited on 18/5/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 18/5/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the only 100% guaranteed way to pass emmisions with a post 95 engine, is to hire or buy a closed loop lambda system and cat.
Bought mine from Tiger for £295 + VAT (ouch!) Have heard £120 quoted to hire the same from ST, dunno what others charge.

Sorry

Wadders

i]Originally posted by MK9R
I've heard so many different views/stories i'm very confused over what exhaust system i will need to pass SVA and MOT's.

I have a zx9 C1 (1998) and the current plan is to use a tiger manifold and collector and the bike can. What will i need to do to get through the tests.

[Edited on 18/5/03 by MK9R]

MK9R

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
How does the lambda actually ater the emmisions?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The lambda sensor is fitted in the collector, it sniffs the exhaust gasses and sends a signal to an ecu which in turn opens two solenoid valves which allow a tiny amount of air to be sucked into the inlet manifolds. sounds complicated, but the system is easy to fit.

cylindersi]Originally posted by MK9R

benedict

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R

wrt ST's system that I used, there's an electronic "black box" at the heart of the system. This is connected to the lambda sensor in the exhaust and a temperature probe stuck onto the top hose near the 'stat. It's also connected to 2 air bleed valves. These connect via small air hoses to the takes-offs in the head near the bottom of the inlet throats each one connecting to 2 cyls. (These are the connections that are usually used to balance the carbs and "off the bike" the 1 & 4 are connected to the bike's vacuum valve and 2 & 3 are blocked.)
The control box then pulses the air valves to let in enough air to give the appropriate mixture.
It needs to be adjusted in conjunction with the idle mixture on the carbs but when I did it it worked really well. Oh and of course there's a cat in the exhaust as well - which doesn't do the noise reading any harm either!

Cheers,
Ben

MK9R

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Arse! More expense!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.