Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wish me well, I've started.
Brooky

posted on 25/5/03 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Wish me well, I've started.

I have started my Suart taylor locoblade this week. I moved the contents of my shed up to the ST factory in Ilkestone and have started to assemble my machine.
I am building it primarily as a road car but track compatable and as the date related reg was important to me I have elected to do it with all new parts, you only build your first car once and I want this to be as nice as possible.
I will upload piccys and keep the progress updated as often as possible but I aim to have it on the road some time around the second week of June.
Here's hoping.
Dave.

locodude

posted on 25/5/03 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck

Jasper

posted on 25/5/03 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one - keep us posted.
Brooky

posted on 25/5/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Some photo's added to the archive.
Brooky

posted on 29/5/03 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
A bit more progress yesterday.
Got the rear bulkhead on and trimmed the side panel to suit the tunnel.
put the rear uprights on, fitted the pedal box and ran all the brake lines ( still waiting for the p-clips from bsr-aerotek ).
Photos added.

Brooky

posted on 8/6/03 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
photos updated.
Progress this week includes fitting engine and adapting the two looms to work as one,
measuring up trimming and fitting various pieces of carpet,
reconditioning a second set of hubs as the first didnt fit ( and neither did the second so a third set awaits my attention ),
side panels fitted and a very neat and sexy exhaust hole cut into the off side one,
hand brake and gear linkage fitted,
body trimmed and dry fitted,
Oh and I fired the engine up as well - very good feeling and i will turn the video footage of it firing up to a jpg and attach it ( it was noticed that the engine works better with the pump pushing fuel into the carbs instead of sucking air out and you get a better spark with the ecu fitted ).

Jasper

posted on 8/6/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Now that's what I call fast work!
Brooky

posted on 8/6/03 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what the Mrs says !
I have taken a month off work and have been building every day for about 10 days.
It helps that 95 % of my parts are new and ready to just bolt on and i have Ian's excellent ( if rather abusive ) advice a shout away. his favourite line seems to be "Dave stop being a girl" LOL.

Brooky

posted on 15/6/03 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
not a lot of progress this week I took two days off for the mrs birthday and one forced day when the water pump blew up on my normal car but phots's have been up loaded.
I have tidyed up the electrics in particular lengthened the wires to the ecu so i can mount it on the bulkehead etc and fitted an immobilser - toad powerkey.

[Edited on 16/6/03 by Brooky]

Brooky

posted on 24/6/03 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
More piccys added
Brooky

posted on 29/6/03 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly finished, only the seats and fuel tank to fit, oh and the dreaded sva.
andyd

posted on 30/6/03 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Are you going to SVA it with the Sparco steering wheel?

Just thinking of the "collapsible boss" thing that may make it a failure, assuming that that's not a collapsible one.

This also assumes that the test centre you use actaully follows the regs as opposed to just interpreting them how they think. Not that I've had first hand experience of this just going by what others have said.

Andy

Brooky

posted on 30/6/03 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the sparco will stay on but there is a colapsable section to the column further down.
If it fails on the wheel ill just put a different on one for the retest.

Peteff

posted on 30/6/03 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Take it with you.

If you take the spare steering wheel and spanners with you you can change it on site. If you go home and come back you will be charged for retest. Not sure if you can get back same day what happens but I think you still have a fee. Are you going to Derby from Ilkeston or Watnall? Derby did mine years ago and were very helpful.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Brooky

posted on 2/7/03 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Nottingham on the 21st july, counting down the days.
iceT
Junior Builder

Posts 30
Registered 1/7/03

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 Locost based on book chassis but with IRS

posted on 4/7/03 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Nice Work!

Hi Brooky,

Nice work... and fast!

I am new to this forum and thinking of building a BEC too. I have the same thinking as yourself, we will only get to build our first car once, therefore I want it to me nice, very nice. But given very little experience that I have, it will be rather challenging, but that's the whole idea!

Seeing that you use most bits new, do you think you could share with me the list of parts and types you using? (ie. upright from Ford, diff from?? etc.). and also, I like the bonnet you got. Where to get them?

The most challenging part for me is to find suitable parts and from where I am, it will too costly to source them from the UK. Unless it's the nose cone or bonnet, where I have got no choice.

timf

posted on 4/7/03 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceT
The most challenging part for me is to find suitable parts and from where I am, it will too costly to source them from the UK. Unless it's the nose cone or bonnet, where I have got no choice.

where are you then icet

Brooky

posted on 10/7/03 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just needs all four wheels to point in the same direction now ooohh and some lights.
Brooky

posted on 28/7/03 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
FINISHED !!!!!!!!!!

The flying banana passed sva on monday 21st and was road registered with an age related plate at Nottingham 3:30 pm.
Piccys to follow as soon as I find my digital camera ( the mrs has tidyed up )

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.