Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR engine height
lococost

posted on 21/5/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR engine height

Hi,

I'm having some troubles installing an air filter under the bonnet of my indy.
I'm using a GSXR1000 with an MK made engine cradle, I have a bonnet scoop, so the bonnet is allready higher then normal, still I only have about less then 2 inches between the bonnet and the top of the throttle bodies. I would like to install an airbox.
1 option would be to switch to a bonnet without a scoop, put a big hole in the middle , make a nice stainless airbox and let it stick trough, however I think it would stick out so much that I wouldnt see anything in front of the car.

Another option might be this:
http://super7cars.com/Gallery/?album=Intake

I think it's rather bizar to put the throttle bodies this far away from the engine, but it seems to work on their cars. Do you all think this would work? Or are there any other solutions out there?

worX

posted on 21/5/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
you could try it the other way and instead of putting the TB's further away, put the filter further away - obviously both of these ideas aren't a great fix, but both will get you through without modifying your external looks etc.

If you look at this pic in Jubal's post when he had a problem with the plenum pipes, that the bloke who he bought the car from had made out of a slightly too brittle plastic pipe! you can see that the air filter is further away and may be a quick fix solution for you problem!
solution picture - click here...
hth
Steve

minordelay

posted on 22/5/07 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, different engine but we are going through a similar problem with a 05 CBR1000RR in an indy. We're limited on what we can do with the airbox as there is a second set of injectors fitted in it. We are going to cut the base out of the airbox and turn it round, which will give some space but engine is still too high. In conjunction with new billet sump we are going to lower the engine down 60-100mm. This will allow the exhaust to clear the chassis too.
After speaking to others that know lots more than me, apparently all later engines are getting taller which is going to cause more problems for everyone.

[Edited on 22/5/07 by minordelay]

mac1ZR

posted on 22/5/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
We have just had this made for our GSXR engine, same problem as you!! Was made by Allyfab.Hope it helps Rescued attachment 1resized.jpg
Rescued attachment 1resized.jpg

mac1ZR

posted on 22/5/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
another pic Rescued attachment 3resized.jpg
Rescued attachment 3resized.jpg

lococost

posted on 22/5/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions!
I really would like to go for an airbox, Having a foam filter stick out would be too loud (belgium legislation states 90dB max).
I measured the distance again between the throttle bodies and the bonnet to see if a custom airbox would fit (I really like the looks of yours mac1ZR), at the most critical point it's only 17mm, take away the rubber from the TB to the airbox and the thickness of the ally, and you're left with allmost nothing. I think this would really kill the engine.

What I don't get is why the cradle is made this high (an MK original), MK had a GSXR demonstrator, so they should know just how high the engine gets. I think the only 2 options I have are lowering the whole cradle, or going with the tubes as in first post. I might be mistaken but compared to mac1ZR's pic, the engine attachements points look way higher.

mac1ZR

posted on 22/5/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Your engine does look like it's mounted very high, maybe it's to avoid the sump being too low? We had to have our sump chopped because it was low. Sorry we cant help anymore, maybe cut the bonnet and have a nice airbox made so it's on show?
minordelay

posted on 22/5/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
It looks high but as I said before later engines are starting to be taller leading to the clearance issues we are now finding.

If I get chance I'll post a pic of our airbox in the normal position, it's like something out of mad max!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.