Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Performance of BEC..?
Paul200

posted on 14/8/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Performance of BEC..?

Hi every1,

I'm planning on building a Locost this winter and just wanted to know what sort of performance I would get from a BEC-Locost? I want to know 0-60mph's, 0-100's, top speeds... I'll probably be building a blade or ZX9R so anything about these or others would be great.

Cheers,

Paul200

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/8/03 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you keep the weight pretty low (sub 450kgs), and have some decent tyres on there, a Blade/ZX9 Locost should give you 0-60 in 4s and 0-100 in just over 10s.
Top speed is entirely dependent on wheel/tyres and diff ratio chosen, but the usual is around 125-130mph, and you do not want to go any quicker than that!

Chris

[Edited on 14/8/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Paul200

posted on 15/8/03 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. Would I be right in thinking that 450kgs is the average weight of a Locost? I've also been told that the average 0-60 of a 2.0 litre engine Locost (ie. pinto, zetec, etc) is around 7secs - is this correct?
locoboy

posted on 15/8/03 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi ,

My 2L pino F 27 will pull 60 in 6.6 seconds and that is in standard tune with 1 twin choke downdraught carb and a moldy cast iron manifold!

Throw a couple of hundred quid in the right direction and you should have a sub 6 seconder.

Colin

ATB
Locoboy

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/8/03 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh I'd say the average BEC Locost weighs around 450kgs, some less, some more. Mine is pretty minimalist with light wheels and tyres (makes big difference), live axle (lighter than IRS), aeroscreen, ally 4 pot brakes and fairly light seats etc, and it weighs around 415kgs with a splash of fuel in it. My wheels (Compomotive split rims) and tyres (ACB10's) save probably 20kgs over a set of single piece Minilite-alikes with Yoko 032 tyres, and the Wilwood brakes are a few kgs lighter than the iron M16 calipers. I could get it under 400kgs if I really tried (I still have a steel floor which adds about 10kgs) but I dont think its really worth the extra spend.

I'd imagine that a 2.0 Zetec, with around 150bhp and weighing around 550-600kgs would do 0-60 in around 5.5s, but 0-60 isnt the be-all and end all, its not really a very good figure to gauge performance to be honest.
Once up and moving, a 150bhp Zetec will lose very little to a blade under acceleration. Judging from experiences on track, Id say around 170bhp of Zetec/Vx power is about equivalent to a blade car. I was at Cadwell a couple of weeks ago and was having a little play for several laps with a Westfield Zetec racer which has about 175bhp, and the straight line acceleration was almost identical. X-Flows tend to be a bit less torquey so need a bit more power to keep up, and I don't recall coming across a Pinto on track so cant comment, but I imagine it wouldnt be quite as quick as an equivalent powered Zetec.

Chris

locoboy

posted on 15/8/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with chris thet once the car has the momentum there will not be much between a Vx/Ztec or a bike engined car. But i would think that a BEC would be better under braking as it has less momentum to overcome due to the lightweight characterisics of it and will cary more speed through the corners or at least accelerate out of the quicker. If its the ultimate track machine on a budget you want...go bike, but for enough to scare the pants off you as a first car you cant go far wrong with a ford lump.

I have had mine for 3 years now with a pinto and i am at the stage where for road use i want more power, and am reluctant to swap to Zetec or spend the 100's of pounds updating my pinto so am seriously considering a bike engine.

cheers and beers
col

ATB
Locoboy

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/8/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh a well set up BEC should be better on the brakes and slighly quicker through corners than a heavier CEC car, but not by a huge amount. I imagine the Westie racer I was having a blat with at Cadwell had a better setup car (more than likely) cos we were very even all the way around the lap.
locoboy

posted on 15/8/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Either that or he was a better driver!

ATB
Locoboy

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/8/03 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
LOL probably, tho we were doing 1.42's-1.44s at the time, which aint too shabby, only about 5s off the BEC pole time from last year.
According to Simon Pullan (ex Locost and Caterham Superlight champion) who gave me some tuition in the last session, my car is too firmly set up and thats why its not gripping as much as it should do, so thats my excuse and Im sticking to it

Chris

[Edited on 15/8/03 by ChrisGamlin]

locoboy

posted on 15/8/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not bad times at all , you should get it set up correctly and put down better times and show the W£stfi£ld boys a clean pair of heels!

ATB
Locoboy

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/8/03 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the plan, an LSD in the back and better setup should improve things a bit.

Chris

locoboy

posted on 15/8/03 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
U got IRS or Live axel?

ATB
Locoboy

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/8/03 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle, if you know of a cheap LSD going gimme a shout
Jasper

posted on 15/8/03 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - sent you a u2u re Titan Quick Racks, any news on these??
ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/8/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ah I knew someone mentioned the Titan, but couldnt remember who. I looked through my e-mail but couldnt find anything so thought I must have dreamt it!

Errm to answer the question, no. I chased Graeme Finlayson loads about them and eventually gave up as they still didnt know any possible prices or timescales etc, and they were off to Barbados at the time, to do the rally, so probably had more pressing things to worry about.
I dont think Im gonna bother with one now anyway, the only real reason I was considering one was because I thought my steering rack was shot, but it turned out to be the balljoint causing the problems. If you want I can e-mail him again tho and ask, or pass on the interested parties to you so you can carry on the cause, so to speak.

Chris

Jasper

posted on 15/8/03 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - I can't be bothered to sort this out either, can you recommend another good rack? I don't mind fitting the internals to my existing rack if necessary.

The other question you may or may not be able to answer - do you think my R1 can will be below 100Db, cos what with fitting a new axle I'm having trouble getting down to Goodwood to get it checked. Got a track day at Keevil booked for 8th Sept.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/8/03 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Errm not 100% sure on racks, I heard that the Burton Power ones were made by Quaiffe and meant to be pretty good but dont quote me on that. Probably best asking the question on the BEC list.

Regarding noise, it will be touch and go if they test you properly I'd say. Mine with the ST can was 103db at 7800 when tested at Goodwood last year, but the R1 can definitely brings it down below that. The thing is, will they really test you properly or not? When we were at Hethel a couple of months ago we were all worried about the noise regs as we were told they were strict, then when they tested us, they only asked for 4500-5000 rpm and we all sailed through!
Best thing to do is to make sure the can isnt pointing at the ground (as this amplifies the sound), make sure that no panels etc rattle (ditto), and as a last resort have a play with your Digidash and configure it so that it reduces the revs a bit if you are worried

Chris

Jasper

posted on 15/8/03 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.