Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: weight distribution
marcotuinenburg

posted on 31/8/03 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
weight distribution

I'm living in the netherlands and i want to built a left hand drive MK with a bike engine. But bike engines are not straight in the car so when i sit on the left and the engine is hanging on to the left the weight on the left of the car is larger. Would that be a problem with a roadgoing car ? Does anyone have experience with this ?
Rorty

posted on 1/9/03 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
Why not mount the engine on the right side, and use a transfer chain and prop bearing?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcotuinenburg

posted on 1/9/03 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
No, that's not what i want.
It makes the car heavier because of the extra parts. The standard enginemounts from martin Keenan wont't fit to. I would have to weld a complete new enginemount.

Rorty

posted on 2/9/03 at 03:49 AM Reply With Quote
I can't see another way of doing it. The extra weight of the chain and bearing couldn't be more than a couple of kilos, tops.
As for making new engine mounts, if you can weld a chassis together, or even modify a bought one to left hand drive, you should be able to make the new mounts with a bag over your head.
They'll take no longer than 30 minutes to make.
If you find an alternative method of moving the engine across, post it on this forum, I'm sure some of the Yanks would be interested.

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adampage

posted on 2/9/03 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Another idea?

Marco,

Some other people have spoken about this on other threads, but have you considered a bike with shaft drive?

As the engine sits in the bike, the shaft is on the left. Therefore in the car, put the shaft in the centre, and the engine then sits to the right.

There are all the BMW engines, Yamaha FJR1300, Yamaha VMax, or even a Diversion if you don't mind a little less power!?

Just a thought, what do you think?

Adam.

sebastiaan

posted on 2/9/03 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
how 'bout an extra universal joint at the point where the tranny tunnel starts getting wider? you could possibly make up a Z-shaped propshaft. This would also mean making new and more mounts (eng. and prop)

also not sure about U-joint life expectancy...

ned

posted on 2/9/03 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
could you not tilt the engine up more and put a bulge in the bonnet to try and centre the engine a bit more? guess this'd only be possible on an injectino engine as carbs would want to be level.

otherwise the afforementioned modified prop sounds good to me.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Spyderman

posted on 2/9/03 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Another option is;
Make it right hand drive.

Spyderman

Peteff

posted on 2/9/03 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Make it right hand drive.

Gets my vote as well.

We had it right in the U.K. all along, even all those years ago we could foresee problems building cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side..

yours, Pete.

[Edited on 2/9/03 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jimgiblett

posted on 2/9/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
You could always try one of the "V" configuration engines (eg Pan Euro or SP1) as they wont hang quite so much on the left as the straight fours do.

Cheers

Jim

Rorty

posted on 3/9/03 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
adampage:
quote:

There are all the BMW engines...

The BMWs have right-side drive shafts, and are very wide being a boxer design.
They are actually raced in a car series, and there's also a reverse gear conversion available for the box.

Cheers, Rorty.

adampage

posted on 3/9/03 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Boxer or Flat?

I didn't know the shaft was on the right. Cool, could use them here then! Would look great with one exhaust each side!

I was thinking of the flat 4 engines (K-series, I think) which aren't so wide and are used in cars like the ADR1000, and so on. Also they're more powerful than the boxers.

Adam.

Rorty

posted on 4/9/03 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
The K1100/1200 apeal to me. There's a firm that specialize in tuning them and fitting turbos; 275hp for street and 312 hp for racing.

Cheers, Rorty.

marcotuinenburg

posted on 4/9/03 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Oké, thanks for all your help. I think i go for a right hand drive.
Peteff

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Also they're more powerful than the boxers

They are all boxer engines. It just means the flat configuration with opposed pistons. I had an Alfasud with the same setup, beautiful engine.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Rorty

posted on 5/9/03 at 03:25 AM Reply With Quote
Peteff:
quote:

They are all boxer engines.

The K Series are an in-line 4 laid down. They're not a horizontally opposed boxer engine.

Cheers, Rorty.

Noodle

posted on 5/9/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
Peteff:
quote:

They are all boxer engines.

The K Series are an in-line 4 laid down. They're not a horizontally opposed boxer engine.

Apart from the K75's inline 3 laid down. I realise that this adds nothing to the topic, but today, I'm pedantic.

Cheers,

Neil.

lococost

posted on 5/9/03 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Marco,

Maybe you should check out Hasselier motoren, the importer of MK in the Netherlands. They seem to have a LHD blackbird engined MK in their showroom according to their site.

http://www.haselier.nl/

I live in Belgium and am seriously considering a BEC MK as well
I won't pay them a visit until my garage is finished, the temptation to buy one if I would, could be too high

Tudor (Ted) Miron

posted on 9/9/03 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hello Rorty,
Could you please post a link for that firm tuning BMW K engines?

Thank you
Ted

Peteff

posted on 9/9/03 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
The K1100/1200 apeal to me.

They are not BMW engines at all, they are Peugeot engines and are a car engine laid on its side. Should be right for a car 'cos that's where it came from.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

Rorty

posted on 10/9/03 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ted, I have the URL in my favourites, but as I can't remember the name of the engineering firm building the cars, I can't find it.
Thet're a British company from memory. Anyone else here remember their name?

Cheers, Rorty.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.