Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TYRES
loafersmate

posted on 15/9/03 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
TYRES

Mornin' all, As Donington was my first track experience I didn't really know what to expect. I've got Yoko A539's (185/55R14 - 18psi) and while I think they're ok on the road, they are definitley not a track tyre. I don't mind 80mph 4 wheel slides but it's not the quickest way round the track! Question is, what tyres should I get for multiple track days next year............they are highly addictive.

Cheers.........Ben

Jasper

posted on 15/9/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
If 15'' then go for Colway rally cut slicks, if 13'' then Yoko A032's. Both around £50 a corner.
MK9R

posted on 15/9/03 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
are the colways road legal??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 15/9/03 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
They have to be if they're used on road rally sections
ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/9/03 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
A032 Yokos are a great compromise tyre that are still OK on the road, but I think they are more expensive in 14" than 13" (about £60 a corner in 13" ).

ACB10s are my fave for total track use, but Ive heard they are a 'mare on the road. Ive also heard good things about the Colway F2s that Jasper mentions, and they may well be cheaper in the size you need, but dont get any of these tyres if you do lots of wet road driving, as they will all be quite scary compared to the 539s, although perfectly driveable unless there is standing water.

If you are serious about both track days and road use tho, get a second set of cheap 13" wheels for track only use, then you can put on what you like, and even source cheap part worn race tyres for about £20 per tyre.

Chris

[Edited on 15/9/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Jasper

posted on 15/9/03 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Chris - trust me not to read the post fully and realise he had 14" rims!
loafersmate

posted on 15/9/03 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of getting some spare rims for track use anyway and if it's wet it stays in the garage............

Never had a problem with the 539's on the road but pushing them on the track is a whole different matter......loads of sideways fun though.

Best start saving then.

Ben

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.