Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Two Strokes
Noodle

posted on 16/9/03 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Two Strokes

Here's a nice perverse topic. Has anyone ever considered using a two stroke engine like the old RD500 and RG500 four cylinders? Simple porting brought these up to the silly horsepower levels with a thirst to match.

I've seen a few sprint cars (Jedi's I think they were) running such motive power.

I suspect emmisions would be a big problem for the SVA. Does anyone have any info on this? I know California has banned them, but what other issues could this approach encounter, apart from expansion chamber positioning, peaky power and a glorious howling noise?

I'm interested in anyones experiences.

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. No, I'm not planning to build one.

coozer

posted on 16/9/03 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of it yesterday!, as my mate has just sold a barking mad RG500. Absolutely loads of horses but absolutely no torque. Would make a stonking off the line sprint car but forget it for the road, constant clutch slipping, loads of gearchanging to keep it on the boil, mixing 2t oil with the petrol, balancing the carbs every five minutes, the noise from 4 individual expansion pipes, oh, and not to mention the petrol consumption. 15/20 to the gallon if you lucky and good 2t oil is around £8 a litre.
Nice idea tho, and it would sound to good to be true

Steve

Wadders

posted on 16/9/03 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmh, hope your not expecting much more from the Z, I think mines a 5 gallon tank, and i get about 80 miles to a tank when driving reasonably quickly!.

and not to mention the petrol consumption. 15/20 to the gallon if you lucky

[Edited on 16/9/03 by Wadders]

Rorty

posted on 17/9/03 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
There are two RZ500 powered cars that race in our club, one puts out 96 BHP and the other just over 125 BHP.
They must be kept on the boil constantly, and demolish clutches at the same rate as 2 strike mix.
They're the dirtiest things around, even though they're very well looked after, and the noise is extreme. Take a look at some of the movie clips on my site for evidence.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.