Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike engine prop tunnel
oadamo

posted on 5/10/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
bike engine prop tunnel

hi iam gonna fit a bike engine in my locost but does the prop run in a straight line. because i was thinking of making the tunnel smaller to the same size as the back bit. so i could have more room for my feet.
adam

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/10/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
By heck you ask some questions Nice one cos mine are always really bone with obvious answers! In answer I know mine and others have put a slight bend in the prop

oadamo

posted on 5/10/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
By heck you ask some questions Nice one cos mine are always really bone with obvious answers! In answer I know mine and others have put a slight bend in the prop

ive got to much time on my hands lol. i just dont want to be cutting it all up again after its done
adam

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/10/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I know that too well. I'm forever having to add things and redo them

Jon Ison

posted on 5/10/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Leave the tunnel till you have positioned the engine ?

It will still be tight in the footwell on the drivers side as the output from the bike gearbox when placed in a car tends to be well over towards the drivers side.

You will be able to make the tunnel lower and probably narrower but to the benefit of the passenger rather than the driver.

You may want to consider moving the engine back a little to ? I stole 6 inch's from the passenger footwell to move the engine back in the chassis.

Avoneer

posted on 5/10/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly as Jon says.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oadamo

posted on 5/10/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
been havin a good look at the photo archives. ChrisGamlin has a good pic of the prop in the tunnel. see what you mean about it being towards the drivers side jut a thought anyway.thanks for your help everyone.
adam

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/10/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
This one?

R1 Prop angle
R1 Prop angle

This is a book chassis with an R1 engine which gives a straighter prop than most due to the stacked gearbox on the R1 which makes it a very narrow engine.

When I had the blade installed in the same car, the front corner of the engine head was virtually touching the chassis above the frontmost exhaust port, and the prop was further over towards the driver almost touching the footwell tube.

If you put the engine in at an angle so the head follows the line of the chassis rail you can get the output shaft more central, but there can be disadvantages in doing it that way due to prop phasing etc leading to prop vibration.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.