Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: last night on ITV
jabbahutt

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
last night on ITV

Morning all

did anyone else catch the program on fuel costs and various ways to cut the cost of motoring.

It had quentin wilson presenting it and he featured a small black box of tricks that you plug into a diesel system to make it run more efficently.

Problem is he didn't mention what it was called or how you go about getting one fitted.

Any help or further info appreciated.

Cheers
Nigel

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sure it wasn't a joke?

I can't imagine that manufactures would deliberately leave room for any further potential savings, they have a hard enough time just passing the emission regulations as it is.

we're there magnets inside?

[Edited on 1/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
nope he apparently runs two of his cars on the system and had a third installed for the program.
They showed the incresed power outputs when hooked up to a diagnostic machine and apprently the engine releases more power for the same amount of fuel and when he took it for a drive he was getting an extra 10-12 miles range per litre.

Trouble is he didn't say what the product was called.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
so why would he show you something like that and then not tell you?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AR-CoolC

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
There are a lot of companies out there that will re-map diesel engines (I had my Leon mapped to an extra 30bhp).

Depending on how the map is written, it can either increase power, increase mpg, give better torque curve etc.

Setting a map to better mpg is becoming a popular mod now with the current pricing situation.

I was in my local Skoda dealer yesterday (car in for service) and there was a special edition Fabia (greenline or something) that is a detuned version of the 1.9TDI I have in my octavia, which has much lower power, but higher mpg and lower CO2 rating.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

charlierevell

posted on 1/7/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few I believe,
here is one:

Tunit

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

jabbahutt

posted on 1/7/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Same reason they didn't mention what solvent they mixed with old chip oil to run a works van.

Possible TV vague clause that too much info could leave them liable where just showing the rough direction leaves them blame free if something goes wrong

[Edited on 1/7/08 by jabbahutt]

carlgeldard

posted on 1/7/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
But if you watched the guy been interviewed he had the company logo on his shirt I'll watch it again tonight and post a link to the little black box

smart51

posted on 1/7/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
he was getting an extra 10-12 miles range per litre.

Thats 45 - 55 more MPG. Are you sure it wasn't 10 - 12 miles per tank full?

carlgeldard

posted on 1/7/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
It is the one

Carl

the_fbi

posted on 1/7/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I can't find the page I was reading at the weekend, which is just typical, but I'm sure it was on Innovate's website.

They were showing how by simply changing the lambda output range on the LC-1 from the default (which is 0-5v) to a lower value ie, 0-4.6v, the ECU would very slightly lean the mixture whilst the engine was at cruise.

Under any other conditions (ie. WOT, starting and accelerating) the lambda is open loop anyway so this small change makes no difference.

Clearly if you don't have an LC-1 (or similar) then you can't make this change simply by software, but theoretically a resistor in the feed back from the lambda would accomplish the same.

Wish I could find the URL

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.