Board logo

Donor Car shell disposal
dwebber597 - 2/8/16 at 05:33 AM

I've got to the point where i have stripped all parts i need to keep for my build off the car (mx5) and now need to set rid of the body. But every scrap collector i call to collect the car ask's for the v5

How do i get rid of it without chopping it into little pieces?

Thanks in advance

WallerZero - 2/8/16 at 07:10 AM

Firstly you need to find someone who is a registered ATF (Authorised Treatment Facility). You then sign the car and V5 over as being scrapped and you will then receive a Certificate of Destruction. (I would keep a photocopy of the V5 for your reference as well anyway). When you apply for IVA/registration, you state the donor car was used and has been scrapped and attach the Certificate of Destruction.

That's the route I took building mine and didn't have any issues when registering my kit

loggyboy - 2/8/16 at 07:44 AM

DONT DO THIS. ^^^
It might have worked once, but once a car is scrapped its quite likely to become unusable as a donor.
Cut the shell up or weigh it in as scrap metal, not as a scrap car.

[Edited on 2-8-16 by loggyboy]

micksalt - 2/8/16 at 07:57 AM

Chop it up, only three trips in an estate car

SelfAssemblyMX5
SelfAssemblyMX5

Slimy38 - 2/8/16 at 08:40 AM

I found someone who was fine to take the shell as just metal, I'd removed all identifying marks to keep the car in my name. I didn't get any money for it, and it did take a bit of searching, but I got there in the end.

MattD - 2/8/16 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Cut the shell up or weight it in as scrap metal, not as a scrap car.

DO THIS.
Have done it twice in recent months at two different recyclers.... just take few photos for "proof" & remove its identity by chopping out the VIN plate(s), and keeping the number plates, V5 and don't forget to keep the vehicle SORN'd.

And I got paid both times, though I did have to take it to them - no chance of it being collected. Steel value is depressing low at the moment too.

And don't forget to declare CATs separately as they are worth extra $$ on their own.

[Edited on 2/8/16 by MattD]

[Edited on 2/8/16 by MattD]

loggyboy - 2/8/16 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattD

Have done it twice in recent months at two different recyclers.... just take few photos for "proof" & remove its identity by chopping out the VIN plate(s), and keeping the number plates, V5 and don't forget to keep the vehicle SORN'd.

And I got paid both times, though I did have to take it to them - no chance of it being collected. Steel value is depressing low at the moment too.

And don't forget to declare CATs separately as they are worth extra $$ on their own.

And Alloy wheels/batterys.
Afew months back I weighed in a clio shell and a load of parts - 1.1 tonnes in total - got £30. Weighing in 6 old alloys at same time got me £35! and 1 large battery for £10.
3-4 years ago I weighed in a similar amount of steel and got £300.

ReMan - 2/8/16 at 12:00 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MattD

And Alloy wheels/batterys.
Afew months back I weighed in a clio shell and a load of parts - 1.1 tonnes in total - got £30. Weighing in 6 old alloys at same time got me £35! and 1 large battery for £10.
3-4 years ago I weighed in a similar amount of steel and got £300.

Yep as above. keep the doner on SORN

Irony - 2/8/16 at 01:31 PM

I use a website called Freecycle to advertise unwanted stuff. I got rid of a nasty, oily, completely seized, left outside for 2 years engine via it. 10 people offered to come round and pick it up.

dwebber597 - 3/8/16 at 03:34 AM

Thanks for the advice. Keeping the V5 is definitely a must so i suppose i'll be chopping the cat up into little bits. Maybe an excuse for some mor power tools

micksalt - 3/8/16 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dwebber597
Thanks for the advice. Keeping the V5 is definitely a must so i suppose i'll be chopping the cat up into little bits. Maybe an excuse for some mor power tools

A most excellent excuse. I tried to do it with a 4 1/2" cordless grinder, but it was taking too long. 9" 240 V grinder had it sorted in less than half an hour

Hammy360 - 19/8/16 at 07:06 PM

quote:
DONT DO THIS. ^^^
It might have worked once, but once a car is scrapped its quite likely to become unusable as a donor.

Spot on! If you scrap it officially you will have extreme difficulty registering on the reg plate

Hammy360 - 19/8/16 at 07:08 PM

quote:
DONT DO THIS. ^^^

Spot on! If you scrap it officially you will have extreme difficulty registering on the reg plate

Alexd186 - 19/8/16 at 07:47 PM

Post a message on oval bangerchat somebody will take it.