Board logo

I.V.A.
Jon Christie - 25/6/18 at 09:06 PM

Hi All
I am building a Haines locost self build car to the Haines manual this includes the construction of the chassis by myself at home and I have purchased a 1993 Ford Sierra Sapphire as my donor car so I can use the engine, drive chain, electrical system , clocks and any thing else that can be used during the build if relevant. My question, can I have an age related plate when it passes the I.V.A. Test when the Sierra is stripped and consequently scrapped. My manual says that’s the case but I have heard other various opinions concerning the legality. Can you please can any bodyconfirm this.
Please if there is any easy to understand list of requirements I can use to obtain the age related plate please advise.

Regards
Jon

tims31 - 26/6/18 at 06:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Christie
Hi All
I am building a Haines locost self build car to the Haines manual this includes the construction of the chassis by myself at home and I have purchased a 1993 Ford Sierra Sapphire as my donor car so I can use the engine, drive chain, electrical system , clocks and any thing else that can be used during the build if relevant. My question, can I have an age related plate when it passes the I.V.A. Test when the Sierra is stripped and consequently scrapped. My manual says that’s the case but I have heard other various opinions concerning the legality. Can you please can any bodyconfirm this.
Please if there is any easy to understand list of requirements I can use to obtain the age related plate please advise.

Regards
Jon

Yes you can.

When the Sierra is stripped down keep the V5, cut out the VIN plate from the chassis and VIN plate from the slam panel and register the car SORN with DVLA and weigh in the bodyshell as scrap with a friendly scrappy - DO NOT let them scrap the chassis on the VIN number or reg as that will cause you issues when you try and register after IVA.

When you send off your paperwork to DVLA for IVA you can send in the original V5 from your Sierra and photos of the VIN plates and be able to register for an age related plate.

To get an age related plate you need to use a number of parts from your donor vehicle which add up to a point score, sorry can't remember what it is but if you use the steering, gearbox engine and axles/diff brakes etc you'll be fine.

HTH

[Edited on 26/6/18 by tims31]

CosKev3 - 26/6/18 at 07:26 AM

quote:
My manual says that’s the case but I have heard other various opinions concerning the legality.
Regards
Jon

The problem is people don't understand what 'age related' means,so they think you are on about fitting the original registration number off the Sierra onto your kit car!

You will get a registration of the same year as the donor,so if your Sierra is H reg you will get a H reg V5,but the H will be the only part of the registration number that is the same as the Sierra.

ianhurley20 - 26/6/18 at 07:47 AM

You will also have to prove your chassis is 'new' so as you are building it yourself keep the purchase receipt for the metal purchased (in fact keep ALL receipts - you will need to prove where most important things come from to get it registered)

Jon Christie - 26/6/18 at 10:17 AM

Thanks all I thought it was the case ,now I can finish the chassis with out worry.
Jon (-:

nick205 - 26/6/18 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
My manual says that’s the case but I have heard other various opinions concerning the legality.
Regards
Jon

The problem is people don't understand what 'age related' means,so they think you are on about fitting the original registration number off the Sierra onto your kit car!

You will get a registration of the same year as the donor,so if your Sierra is H reg you will get a H reg V5,but the H will be the only part of the registration number that is the same as the Sierra.

Correct - I used a G reg Sierra donor car and got a G reg (different registration numbers) for the finished MK Indy after SVA.

jimmyd - 26/6/18 at 03:40 PM

If you want an age related plate ensure the v5 of the Sierra is in your name. I recently passed IVA and registered car at beginning of June. Although everything else was in order the V5 wasn't in my name and they would only offer a Q plate unless I had ownership changed. TBH I don't mind Q plate, I'm happy to have people know it's different so just let them process away. Have to say DVLA was very helpful, phoned me to tell me the problem and offered solution, as I was happy to leave as was they phoned back next day when number was issued and even scanned and emailed certificate to have plates made, it was a Friday and I fully intended using my 1st registered 2018 car (which surprised me) that weekend!

Jon Christie - 26/6/18 at 07:03 PM

Hi All.
Just a note on the reasons for an age related plate. Basicly there are none but when I started the progect some months ago as an engineer I wanted to start something from scratch rather than by a complete kit to assemble , various suggestion by my friends were based on motorcycles as I have been involved with owning and restoring them for years and they are still my preferred choice but doing this I set out to completely manufacture and the reconditioning of the parts plus the full manufacture of all the components. And as I bought the donor car for this sole use and I would like to keep part of it alive as these now are becoming rare it seems the right thing to do.
Stupid mentality I know but for me this is a learning curve as well because it is not a motor cycle but the end result will be quite close but with 4 wheels.
Thanks all the help so far and no doubt I will be asking for help again (-: !!!.

Jon