Board logo

zetec alternative?
number-1 - 5/1/20 at 06:37 PM

Does anyone know what engine is a straight swap for a 2L sliver top zetec fitted to a 5 speed type 9 gearbox?

cliftyhanger - 5/1/20 at 06:41 PM

Blacktop is pretty close to a straight swap, as is st170 (a posh blacktop)
Few differences, mounts, teh belt needs attention etc, but nothing big.

steve m - 5/1/20 at 11:11 PM

Pinto

MikeRJ - 6/1/20 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Pinto

Pintosaurus has the exhaust and inlet locations swapped compared to the zetec and different engine mount locations. The only real compatibility between them is the bellhousing bolt pattern.

A blacktop Zetec is the obvious choice for minimising effort if another silvertop can't be found. However it depends on what the goals of the OP are, if he wants more power then the effort of moving to a blacktop won't be worthwhile.

number-1 - 7/1/20 at 05:00 PM

The reason for the question was out of curiosity. Ive got a supercharged zetec fitted at the moment but struggling with noise limits on track days due to the SC whine. Ill try and rectify the issue in the new year but was after alternatives if i cant. I would be after around 230 bhp

johnH20 - 9/1/20 at 09:03 PM

I am a long way from being a supercharger expert but there is a lot of info out there if you look for it. My understanding is that the throttle arrangements ( pre or post blower ) have a major influence on noise. FWIW I run a mini M45 supercharger on an MX 5 with pre charger throttle making 200 bhp and I regularly get measured ( static ) at about 88 dB. Changing the engine sounds like a complicated way of solving your problem.

Charlie_Zetec - 10/1/20 at 06:43 PM

Pretty sure JeffW is the man on here to speak to - from memory he had a supercharged Zetec with 400+ bhp, and used to track his car (before it met an unfortunate end).

number-1 - 10/1/20 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
I am a long way from being a supercharger expert but there is a lot of info out there if you look for it. My understanding is that the throttle arrangements ( pre or post blower ) have a major influence on noise. FWIW I run a mini M45 supercharger on an MX 5 with pre charger throttle making 200 bhp and I regularly get measured ( static ) at about 88 dB. Changing the engine sounds like a complicated way of solving your problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking the engine swap was worst case scenario and im sure it wont come to it.

Do you run an intercooler with that set up? Any videos of the car in action?

big_wasa - 10/1/20 at 08:32 PM

I fancy a charger for the Duratec 30 any one know what sort of size you would want to boost 3.0 @ 1 bar ?

I love a Zetec but they are getting old tired and sparse now some of the oval cars have moved over to the Zetec.

johnH20 - 11/1/20 at 11:09 AM

Hi number-1. Yes I run an intercooler ( mandatory IMHO for circuit work or any other kind of extended full throttle work. If you have not studied thermodynamics 'Supercharged' by Corky Bell tells you all you need to know. ) I have shortest possible connecting pipework to minimise system volume. Sorry no videos but Boxsters (and the occasional Elise) are sometimes 'victims' on track. As noted above there are much more expert people than me on here and also on MX5Nutz where I got a lot of helpful advice. Good Luck.

jeffw - 11/1/20 at 01:40 PM

Mine was a Rotrex supercharged Zetec so quite different to one of the Merc Rootes Superchargers. I agree you need an intercooler otherwise your intake temps will be through the roof.

Phoenix @ Blyton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOcBHEtc38&t

Zeus @ Blyton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu5t4A15tlk

Just 8 secs faster !

[Edited on 11/1/20 by jeffw]

big_wasa - 11/1/20 at 02:58 PM

“ Just ”

jeffw - 11/1/20 at 05:22 PM

The big V8s in the British Sprint Championship are 5-6 secs faster again....just ! The top speed at Blyton in the Zeus is 9500rpm in 5th which is 153MPH, so 30MPH faster than the Phoenix at the same point on the circuit.

Not that this has anything to do with the conversation about supercharged Zetecs lol.

[Edited on 11/1/20 by jeffw]