Board logo

Garage lighting - Lidl LEDs
GRRR - 11/8/15 at 08:43 PM

So I was browsing the cheap stuff in Lidl today and saw these.

Would these be any good as internal garage lighting? Maybe work bench lighting or just dotted around the edges of the ceiling? £9.99 ea, pretty cheap.

coyoteboy - 11/8/15 at 08:51 PM

Might be a bit glary?

bi22le - 11/8/15 at 09:08 PM

I would be interested in these.

Some one buy some and try them, QUICK!!!

tegwin - 11/8/15 at 09:10 PM

I bought similar ones off eBay (10W units) for about a tenner each to use for cave photography..... They are really bright with wide spread... Unless you have seriously high ceilings and are willing to fit loads of them like downlighter I wouldn't bother... some nice sealed striplights would give a more even light....

trextr7monkey - 12/8/15 at 12:54 AM

Tool station do an Led block to replace the short halogen linear bulbs which give off a decent level of light and would be cheaper. I'm trying one as a small flood light substitute

russbost - 12/8/15 at 07:02 AM

I've used these to great effect Link tho' I must profess a vested interest!!

ianhurley20 - 12/8/15 at 07:58 AM

I have one in my garage with a PIR so the light comes on as I enter, very good indeed but I supplement with normal lighting when doing anything. For spot lights I use a rechargeable version which is worth its weight in gold, really excellent for difficult underneath work etc

GRRR - 12/8/15 at 04:37 PM

So they're ok but it's preferable to have some strip lights still, is the gist of it. Must admit some slight laziness, I can fit a few of these in my rucksack on my way home, but strip lights I'd need to make a special trip for. I have a rechargeable portable one, it's superb for that purpose.

Staple balls - 12/8/15 at 07:57 PM

I've been thinking one of thes e might do the job nicely for garage lighting, possibly with a bit of frosted perspex to diffuse some light.

But saying that, I just use a knackered tube light and a 280w spot screwed to a joist for when I need to see.

sdh2903 - 12/8/15 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I've used these to great effect Link tho' I must profess a vested interest!!

Hi russ, how many of them do you reckon to light up a 6mx3m garage?

BenB - 12/8/15 at 09:20 PM

I got a load of 30cm 5050 led strips including "milk" covers for £20. 12v but it just so happens I haven't got mains in my garage. Does the job superbly...

lsdweb - 12/8/15 at 10:12 PM

I fitted a couple of similar ones (from Screwfix) to a rental property that we had just renovated and extended. I was back within 6 weeks to replace one as it failed.

Wyn

olberj - 12/8/15 at 10:27 PM

Don't look that Lidl to me.

loggyboy - 16/8/15 at 11:35 AM

Did anyone try these in the end?

coyoteboy - 28/8/15 at 03:44 PM

No, I considered it but decided I wanted no shadows so I went with 4x 5ft strips at 1/3 and 2/3 width. Pretty pleased I did too, but I'm £100 down.

threadbare wallet - 29/8/15 at 06:04 AM

I have a strip light and 4 of these in my garage(one in each corner) so i never get a shadow from above or the side,they are on there own switches so can be turned off if to much and angled up or down.they are great and brilliant to be pointed at the bench.had the for about a year now got them from amazon i think.