Board logo

Garmin speed camera updates
cliftyhanger - 6/10/16 at 05:02 PM

I am totally pi88ed off.
Tomorrow I am doing the RBRR, (2000 miles, 48 hours in a 1972 Triumph Toledo, TR7 re-powered to 100bhp!)
Now, being as we are passing through some notorious speed camera territory, thought it worthwhile doing a months free speed camera thingy on our garmin.
Yes, that was fine. What isn't fine is that there seem to be no way of getting the thing grom pc onto the garmin. It just keeps failing. It looks like it is because browsers (chrome, ie and firefox at least) no longer support plugins. I have gone through the garmin "fix" a few times, and still nope.

Anybody point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Clive (who likes his clean licence)

HowardB - 6/10/16 at 05:35 PM

I use my phone with the waze app. Works well. Chews a bit of data, not too much though

SteveWalker - 6/10/16 at 06:43 PM

I've already complained to Garmin about the plug-in problem. It has been quite a while since the ability to use their plug-in disappeared and they seem to be doing nothing about it. I ended up paying 5 or 6 quid for 12 months access to an independent supplier of a similar database - which installed without a need for plug-ins.

cliftyhanger - 6/10/16 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
I've already complained to Garmin about the plug-in problem. It has been quite a while since the ability to use their plug-in disappeared and they seem to be doing nothing about it. I ended up paying 5 or 6 quid for 12 months access to an independent supplier of a similar database - which installed without a need for plug-ins.

who did you use? any good/accurate?
ta

Dusty - 6/10/16 at 09:49 PM

I updated my Garmin about four days ago. My 6 month old Garmin Express program wouldn't work. I just assumed there was a glitch with the program so downloaded the latest Garmin Express from their website and was all done in 20 minutes.

SteveWalker - 6/10/16 at 09:49 PM

Sorry, I've not used it enough to be sure how good it is - I only got it recently because I was going away to Ireland and travelling up to Scotland first, but haven't used it day to day, 'cos I can get around without it most of the time.

I was slightly out on the price, it was 9.95 Euro from http://www.scdb.info/

cliftyhanger - 6/10/16 at 10:03 PM

I may well get the pocketgpsworld version. £20 a year, but I reckon I can share with 2 other people. Not that I am cheap.......

mazie - 7/10/16 at 07:09 AM

I'll 2nd the Waze app, real neat bit of software .

MP3C - 7/10/16 at 08:20 AM

Yes, definatly reccomend Waze, its the prefect app for driving showing upto date speed cameras and if you are on a busy strech of road with other users they flag where the police are waiting with the mobile cameras - Really handy peice of kit + its compleatly free.

Matt

HowardB - 7/10/16 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MP3C
Yes, definatly reccomend Waze, its the prefect app for driving showing upto date speed cameras and if you are on a busy strech of road with other users they flag where the police are waiting with the mobile cameras - Really handy peice of kit + its compleatly free.

Matt

*free* if you don't pay for data

cliftyhanger - 7/10/16 at 10:19 AM

Pockergpsworld bought. Tested,actually simple enough for me to use.
It does give LOTS of warnings, but only tested in town and I know the mobile traps do lurk there from time to time, so fair enough.

Don't want a separate system on my phone, besides my data allowance is not huge. So simple and effective. I hope.

rgrs - 7/10/16 at 10:30 AM

There seems to be an issue with a lot of plug-ins not being updated, however as a work around Internet explorer is still there its just not easy to find.

If you press windows key and R then type iexplore.exe it will launch, and the plug-in should work.

hth

Roger