Board logo

Ford Pinto ticking noise
xico_ze54 - 11/7/16 at 07:44 PM

hi all

I got a Ford Pinto engine placed in a 1978 2-door Taunus TC2 , is same car as Cortina Mk4.

the engine performs very well but it has a "ticking" noise that appears to be untuned valves, but is not. the noise is more higher.

when I opened the engine top cover I saw 2 of the cams with some type of severe scratchs and wear that for sure will modify the touch with the follower.

let me ask:

1- what could cause that wear and big scratches of the cams?
2- could this be the cause of the "ticking" noise?

the followers seams to be fine. is very strange.

some help will be appreciated.

many thanks in advance.
Amadeu

SJ - 11/7/16 at 07:57 PM

The sound of the late 70s in the UK was Pintos with worn camshafts!

Easy to change though.

Stu

perksy - 11/7/16 at 08:00 PM

Hello

The oil holes on the spray bar that supplies oil to the camshaft lobes need to be checked to make sure they are not blocked

If they are blocked the camshaft lobes will be starved of oil and will wear quickly

If they are badly scored already then the camshaft will need replacing along with a new spray bar and followers

MP3C - 11/7/16 at 08:11 PM

I had a problem with ticking for a while, about 4 tries of getting the clearances right solved the problem, just need to be prefect on the tolerances, well that's what I found!

Although with a scored camshaft then you should invest in a EDIT: a new one!

Matt

[Edited on 11/7/16 by MP3C]

mark chandler - 11/7/16 at 09:28 PM

And if you put it in with the spring clips ears the wrong way around it will clack wonderfully, worth a check as well.

britishtrident - 12/7/16 at 01:38 PM

I must have got wrong on all the dozens of Cortina camshafts I changed then. If Pinto starts clattering change the cam & followers and oil feed and use decent quality at least semi-synthetic oil.

[Edited on 12/7/16 by britishtrident]

rusty nuts - 12/7/16 at 06:33 PM

Also worth checking the exhaust manifold gaskets , I've had one leaking causing what sounds like a clicking noise

David Jenkins - 12/7/16 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Also worth checking the exhaust manifold gaskets , I've had one leaking causing what sounds like a clicking noise

I had exactly that over the weekend! I was trying to tune a new carb and kept hearing a loud ticking noise at idle speed - it sounded exactly like a badly adjusted tappet, or an arcing HT lead. Then I felt the puff of gas from the edge of one of the gaskets...

...gasket replaced, no more ticking.