Board logo

Swapping diff internals between tripod and lobro
HappyFather - 25/6/17 at 12:36 AM

Hi people,

I've been considering a diff swap on my car. I currently have a 7,5" 3.62 lobro.
I'm looking to get a 3.14 in but I can only seem to find 7" 3.14 tripod.
I've checked with Aries and I can use a 7" on my car. But I want to keep lobro.

If I buy a 7" 3.14 tripod and a 7" any-ratio lobro, can I change the internals of the tripod to the lobro case?
And is it something that can be done by a monkey with a spanner (me) or should I get a proper mechanic to do the job?

Thank you for the answers! Cheers,
HappyFather

P.S. - I know I can't get a 7" 3.14 internals and put them on a 7,5" case, unfortunately...

minibull - 25/6/17 at 02:01 AM

I'm fairly sure (i.e. not 100% certain) that internals don't swap over. Usual way to interchange between Tripode and Lobro diffs is swap ends of drive shafts over at CV joint. Problem with that is that going from 7.5" to 7" is cradle will prob need modifying to take the 7" diff and shafts will likely be .25" short (though I doubt that would cause a problem). Very good how to on Reliant Scimitar forum as relatively common mod on ss1's to fit sierra 7"LSD in place of open 7" fitted as std.
Mick

mark chandler - 25/6/17 at 07:22 AM

Crown wheel and pinion are universal in the 7" range of diffs, I took a 3.14 push in CWP and swapped straight into a 3.65 bolt on LSD.

Dick - 25/6/17 at 01:55 PM

Im 99.9% certain that the internals on the 7 and 7 1/2 diffs are identical and can be changed into either cassing

HappyFather - 25/6/17 at 02:52 PM

Thank you for the replies!

Since there are no push-in LSD, this means that buying a lobro LSD case any ratio and then the 3.14 push-in I can get the most desired 3.14 LSD lobro

Now, let's go shopping!