Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How To: DIY MX-5 Steering Column Top Seal (for free)
micksalt

posted on 5/1/16 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
How To: DIY MX-5 Steering Column Top Seal (for free)

Due to clearance between my knees and the steering wheel, I decided a long time ago that I will be using a smaller aftermarket wheel. Also, to get in and out easier, I decided it would be removable, using a Rapfix R weld-on boss. However, since I am ditching the stalks, this left me with an exposed top bearing of the steering column, open to the elements for rain and dust to get in.

ExposedSteeringBearing
ExposedSteeringBearing

Whilst reorganising the donor parts, I spotted the steering column bulkhead seal amongst my box of bits and had a moment of inspiration.

BulkheadSteeringSeal
BulkheadSteeringSeal

After cutting it down a bit, it turned out to be the perfect size to slip over the welded-on boss and sit covering the bearing. The cable tie isn't actually necessary to keep it in place, and the seal around the shaft is tight enough to keep the elements out, but creates minimum resistance to the turning action

SteeringSeal
SteeringSeal

[Edited on 5/1/2016 by micksalt]

micksalt

posted on 5/1/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot to say, take the plastic bushing out first. You can see it sat on the bench in the first photo.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.