Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fisher Fury Brake Upgrade, Help Needed!
micksymonds

posted on 26/8/16 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fisher Fury Brake Upgrade, Help Needed!

I am embarking on a rebuild project of my 55 plate fury after more than 4 years off the road!

I am changing to 13 inch wheels and tyres from the extremely heavy setup that was on the car when I bought it. At the same time I am looking at changing the brake setup to improve braking performance and reduce weight. However, I need some help in understanding what potential options I have based on the current setup.

I am running what I believe are 260mm X 58mm deep X 24mm thick vented Sierra discs on the front and Drums on the rear (see pics below)

Ideally I would like to change the front setup to smaller discs and replace the current drums on the rear with a disc configuration.

Front Hubs

Front Brakes

Rear Hubs & Brakes

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated - please don't hesitate to ask any questions if anything is unclear.

Many thanks
Mick

adithorp

posted on 27/8/16 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Simplest solution for full upgrade is probably Wilwood front and rear set up from RallyDesign. Kits include calipers, discs and brackets.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

micksymonds

posted on 1/9/16 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I had a look at Rally Design and they only show options for the front. Not entirely sure how I would mount calipers on the rear given the current setup!
rdodger

posted on 1/9/16 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksymonds
I had a look at Rally Design and they only show options for the front. Not entirely sure how I would mount calipers on the rear given the current setup!

The drum back plate comes off and a bracket holds the caliper over the supplied disc. The drive flange needs to be turned down a little for the disc to fit.

Rally design list the kit as a sierra drum brake conversion.

Have a look here on page 3

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=832304&i=40

This kit
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=12234

[Edited on 1/9/16 by rdodger]

alfas

posted on 30/10/16 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
i would leave the drums!! they are lighter than a disc conversion..and the drums usually are doing their job in a light kitcar where rear brakes are really not have much work to do.

what engine do you run? how many horsepower?

the problem on most kitcars is , that the balance from rear to front is not well done, hence the rear (drum) brakes do not do their job as efficient as they could.

at the end of the day, if we are honest to ourselves, most people change brakes that they can show-off their nice calipers and rear discs on a meeting.

i have driven converted cars where i thought: omg, this car brakes less good as my oldschool drum "setup"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.