Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor Car
auzziejim

posted on 9/1/03 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Donor Car

I have just found myself a Donor car its a H reg Ford Sierra 1.6l SOHC with 78K miles! All for £100! i pick it up at the end of the month! i was wondering however what do i need to be wary of with respect to the MK Indy chassis and stripping of the car?All help/advice is greatly appreciated
James

posted on 10/1/03 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jim,

Last thing I want to do is p!ss on your parade but:
Are you planning to use the 1.6 engine? Or just the running gear?
I might be wrong but for £100 I'd have thought you'd get a big choice of old Sierras and therefore if you're going to put up with all the disadvantages of the Pinto you might as well get 2.0lt (115bhp) instead of 1.6(approx 85?).
But maybe your not using the engine or it's for insurance reasons of something so I'll shut up now!

BR,

James

[Edited on 10/1/03 by James]

auzziejim

posted on 10/1/03 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
James I am only 17 so the 1.6 is the engine i am going to use initally purely to keep Mr. Insurance man happy! but also teh MK indy kit is designed with the 1.6 in mind! I have benn told that the 1.6 CVH RST engine will fit using the Sierra running gear so that is an option for the future!
welshy

posted on 11/1/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
£100?????
Thats a bit steep. I got a mechanically mint sierra with 68k for £50.
Go to www.adtrader.co.uk for cheap cars and parts.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/1/03 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
if you can afford it, 100 quid for a car thats (got history?) wouldnr be too bad. If you want sopmething random, sierras could be had for free by putting an ad in your local paper. Cars cost 50 quid to dump, there are desperate people waiting for your call!

atb

Steve

Good luck on your build

auzziejim

posted on 20/1/03 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
well iv just got my sierra and started stripping it after a quick blast down a nice B road! Im startign from the rear and working forward and its going well! the engine is pretty strong for a 1.6 too!

anybody got any tips for me?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/03 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auzziejim

anybody got any tips for me?

yep. Strip all you can and keep it until you are 100% sure you wont need it. Anything that you throw away will be needed a day or so after you junked it!

It took me about 16 hrs to strip my donor - the longest item was the loom - i wanted it as complete as poss so i could trace stuff with the aid of a haynes manual diagram.

dont be afraid to cut stuff away with a grinder thats getting in your way - saves lots of time when you know its never going back together!

Put alll nuts and bolts and fiddly bits in labelled envelopes. You will never remember where they went in a year or so when you get to use em again.

keep the reg document safe - its part of your ticket to not getting a Q plate.

I think my web page gives more stuff out.

atb

steve

CairB

posted on 20/1/03 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I found it helped by identifying parts and labelling - particularly the wiring loom, storing parts in boxes and making a list of where each item is stored.
Work on the squirrel principle and don't throw things away until your sure you don't need them.
I modified the standard loom, it really helped by labelling where the connectors went - its amazing how fast you forget
Once underway don't loose sight on your aims - mine was to get on the road before it snowed - result

Good luck

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.