Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sebastian lathe
albertz

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sebastian lathe

Has anyone heard of, or used, a Sebsatian lathe? There is one for sale locally that i am interested in, but thought i would seek your opinions before committing!!

Hopefully the images are now a more resonable size!!!

lathe 1
lathe 1

lathe 2
lathe 2

lathe 3
lathe 3

If the photos dont work then they are all in my photo archive in their own folder.

The lathe is very old, but apparently all works, although slight play in some feeds. All the tooling shown in the photographs is included in the sale and the lathe is single phase.

Any opinions or comments appreciated.

[Edited on 16/3/09 by albertz]

fatfranky

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is this link any use

Sebastian gold seal lathes

BTW I can't see your pictures

Regards

Frank

Edit again

CAN see your pictures now (sort of) but they're massive- might have to buy a 42" screen

[Edited on 16/3/09 by fatfranky]

[Edited on 16/3/09 by fatfranky]

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
that might have been last owned by a Dinosaur

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
looks a bit old and rustic!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
If it runs, and the feeds all work, then it's got to be worth a punt if the price is right.

You'll learn a lot while you get it working nicely and, if you ever decide to upgrade, you'll know more about what makes a lathe good or bad.

Give it a good looking over for broken or repaired castings, and such like.

The spanner on the back of the headstock is a worry - was there handle that got broken? Or is it just a nut that needs turning now and again? May not be an issue, but if it's a broken handle then try to look at the casting around it, and at whatever's on the other end of it.

Just one thing - don't underestimate its weight! When you make your decision, consider how to get it home. In my case, I got a local engineering firm to move my Colchester - best £100 I ever spent (it weighs more than my Locost).

[Edited on 16/3/09 by David Jenkins]

l0rd

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
You should consider doing some electrolysis before you do any work with it.
coozer

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Looks older than wor lass

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
might not be much use for small quick jobs as it could take a while to build up steam pressure

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Put it this way - with it, you will be able to do a lot of jobs that you couldn't do without it...

r1_pete

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Looks a stout bit of kit, many many times better than the pressed tin rubish being punted at the diy'er

James

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of someone on here's comment when wilkingj opened up his v8 engine...

"looks like it's lead a long and interesting life".

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

wilkingj

posted on 16/3/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the bed is true, and there is no major wear on the threads and bearings, it will be good for a lot of jobs.

OK may not be a suer precision machine (due to age / wear etc) but will probably do more than you can (skill wise)!

A bit like my Viento can drive better than I can!

All depends if the price is right.....

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

MikeRJ

posted on 16/3/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Someone else restoring a similar model using electrolysis.
albertz

posted on 16/3/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments. I served an apprenticeship as a fitter/turner, but with the exception of buiding the Locost haven't really spent much time on the tools or on the lathe, so will take a bit of time getting back into the swing of things.

As has been mentioned it opens up a variety of options on ways to do things etc that i dont have without a lathe.

Would anyone care to have a stab at guessing the weight? I was planning collecting it with my car and a twin axle Ifor Williams trailer, should be OK providing the seller can load it onto the trailer for me, which he says he can.

The main thing that worries me is getting spares if something is broken or faulty. I assume things like chucks, toolpost holders etc are standard fittings, or is this a problem?

Thanks again for the comments.

wheelfelloff

posted on 16/3/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz

As has been mentioned it opens up a variety of options on ways to do things etc that i dont have without a lathe.

Would anyone care to have a stab at guessing the weight? I was planning collecting it with my car and a twin axle Ifor Williams trailer, should be OK providing the seller can load it onto the trailer for me, which he says he can.

The main thing that worries me is getting spares if something is broken or faulty. I assume things like chucks, toolpost holders etc are standard fittings, or is this a problem?

I don't think I would worry about getting spares as you would be very lucky to find any. The lathe was built in the 1920 - 1930 era and imported from the states, have a look here for some basic information:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sebastian/page2.html

With things like chucks etc it is usually possible to adapt from something else and most gears/bearings etc can be replicated - with a lathe :-) so as long as it runs you can repair it. The only issue will be the bed, slideways and feed screws. I wouldn't worry too much as long as the price is right, a lot of very good work can be completed on a worn lathe once you have learnt its' foibles. The weight I would guess at about 5cwt or so. Have fun and enjoy using it, it will be much more productive than you think.

regards

Keith

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
It looks lighter than mine, so 250kg is probably about right (mine's around 650kg!). It'll be a nasty thing to move though, as all the weight is in the top half - very top-heavy.

Do you have access to an engine hoist? That would be the safest way to get it off the trailer.

As for carrying it on the trailer - take some very heavy planks to spread the load, as it will have all its weight on a very small footprint. Also take some stout ratchet straps, as you don't want it rattling around!

As for whether the thing works ok - take a 25mm round bar of mild steel and ask him to take a moderately deep skim along most its length at around 600rpm. If the tool is sharp and set properly then there should be no juddering, the surface should be reasonably smooth and each end of the cut should be the same diameter (he might have to use a centre at the tailstock end of the bar). If the bar has a consistent taper from one end to the other then that can be adjusted out by moving the tailstock over. If the diameter varies up and down along the length then there may be a few issues!

More than anything else though, I'd be looking for regular marks caused by chattering, vibrations or whatever, which may indicate that the main headstock bearing is on its way out.

But, as said above, even a tired old lathe is useful!

[Edited on 16/3/09 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.