Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can a 2.9 sierra xr4x4i be used as a donor?
Poorscousertommy

posted on 8/10/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Can a 2.9 sierra xr4x4i be used as a donor?

As above really - are there any that should be avoided, and would the gearbox be suitable (for cec, so diff ratio not absolutely critical) or are there other models I should be looking at?

Dumb question, wout this suit a rwd conversion as I don't know how the front wheels would be driven - assume from the gearbox, if so how do I block the outputs etc etc..

Cheers

DixieTheKid

posted on 8/10/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
You would need and 2wd gearbox, either type 9 or MT75 (2wd v6 MT75 are like gold dust or you could make a Hyrbrid using the 4x4 MT75 and a 2WD MT75). You will also need 2WD front uprights and change the sump.

COS IT'S Worth IT

wilkingj

posted on 8/10/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Also bear in mind the 4x4 has a Limited Slip rear Diff... Mmmm Nice... and well worth getting the car just for the LSD (probably a 3.6:1 on the V6 model).
It also has the 260mm larger front discs and better calipers which are nice too. OK cant use the font uprights, but get the brakes off it, even if you just use them as exchange units. Get the caliper mounting bars / brackets as well.

As above for the bits you cant use, but these are minor really. You can always get a 2L engine and a type 9 box fairly cheaply if you cant find a 2wd-V6 box. Its not the end of the world!.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 8/10/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dax did (or maybe still do) a 4wd Rush based on that car.

Liam

posted on 8/10/11 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Worth getting if the donor is cheap for the LSD rear end (will be 3.62) with disc brakes. You wouldn't want to bother converting the 4x4 box to 2WD to be honest. If you want to use the V6 you can try to find a 2WD V6 Type-9/MT75 box (almost rocking horse poo though) or can get a 4-pot 2WD box of the same type and swap the rear sections to end up with your V6 fitting 2WD box. And you'd want ideally to get a 2WD V6 sump but you dont actually need it if I'm not mistaken.

Or just use a completely different engine and box.

Then you need 2WD front uprights too.

Or make a 4x4

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cperry

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I too am interested in using the 4x4 sierra but intend to keep the 4wd system. I realise I'll need new gearbox and front diff mountings and the front shocks will need to move but is there anything fundamental preventing me from using the donor?

How many 4wd locosts are out there?

PS first post hello all !

[Edited on 15/11/11 by cperry]

Regards

Craig Perry

Rob Allison

posted on 18/11/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Front hubs can be used. You just unclip the C lip for the driveshaft and remove it from the hub. Got some on my 2wd sierra as there a wider track than the 2wd hubs.

mark chandler

posted on 19/11/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thats what I chopped up 6 years ago, only cost £100 then all up and running, not even rusty!

Just used the rear axle, column and handbrake, the rest disppeared in a skip at the breakers, times have changed.

Donor car
Donor car

[Edited on 19/11/11 by mark chandler]

Liam

posted on 19/11/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cperry
I too am interested in using the 4x4 sierra but intend to keep the 4wd system. I realise I'll need new gearbox and front diff mountings and the front shocks will need to move but is there anything fundamental preventing me from using the donor?

How many 4wd locosts are out there?

PS first post hello all !

[Edited on 15/11/11 by cperry]

Hello!

Not many at all, but cab be done. Have a look in my photo archive

Rogthebandit

posted on 31/12/11 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Also bear in mind the 4x4 has a Limited Slip rear Diff... Mmmm Nice... and well worth getting the car just for the LSD (probably a 3.6:1 on the V6 model).
It also has the 260mm larger front discs and better calipers which are nice too. OK cant use the font uprights, but get the brakes off it, even if you just use them as exchange units. Get the caliper mounting bars / brackets as well.

As above for the bits you cant use, but these are minor really. You can always get a 2L engine and a type 9 box fairly cheaply if you cant find a 2wd-V6 box. Its not the end of the world!.

Hi
You say that you can't use the front uprights? What's the main reason why you can't use them? Is the geometry different to the 2wd uprights
Cheers
Rog

Liam

posted on 31/12/11 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Being 4x4, instead of a stub axle fixed to the upright you have the driveshaft that pokes through. So in order to hold the hub on you'd need to strip down the outer driveshaft CV and keep the stub axle part there to hold everything together. Do-able, but not ideal. The other issue is that the strut is thicker on the 4x4 so you need to have custom larger diameter mushroom inserts made for the top balljoints. Again, not insurmountable at all, but why give yourself the hassle?
Rogthebandit

posted on 31/12/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that. Like you say it's doable. I ll have to have a think. I have both sets of uprights, just though the 4x4 one look in better nic

Cheers rog

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.