Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra engines
exmerlin2001

posted on 12/9/02 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra engines

Hi to everyone, I'm a thinkIwannabee a Locost builder- not too sure, yet. This has probably been asked before, can the injected 2 litre Sierra engine fit in either the book, MK, Stuart Taylor,et al, chassis. This appears to be the cheapest way to get a reasonable amount of power straight from the box- or am I being too naive?
I quite fancy building a one off car, a little larger than the Locost, but the availability of relatively cheap chassis would cut the time down considerably- and it is a classic design...........
I intended to visit Donington this weekend, but now find I can't! Don't ask!!! So I'll just have to plague you all with questions......
Albert

scutter

posted on 13/9/02 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
exmerlin2001, you don't say if you are able to weld, if so Jim Mcsorleys site (it's in the links) has plans for wider,longer or taller chassis that will help fit you and your engine.

There's nothing like the satisfaction of saying "i built that".

Power wise the engines going to be good for 115/125hp, which is good enough to see off most road cars.

Hope that helps a little, Take care Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 13/9/02 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using the 2.0i Pinto engine- you want this as opposed to the dual-overhead cam version. The only problem with it is it's a heavy beast and far too tall, especially in standard injection form.

Almost without doubt you'll want to strip off the injection manifold and fit side-draft carbs. Otherwise you'll never fit it under the bonnet- you'll also want to consider moving the oil filler to the back of the tappet cover.

Also, I gather it's worth looking out for the '205' Pinto engine type which came in the 1989 onwards cars. Yesterday I was talking to a chap who used to race with Pintos and he said the '205' was far better. Also, if at some point later you want to tune the engine then the '205' is more tuneable.

If you want a larger chassis then the McSorley plans are excellent- several people here have built chassis' from those plans. I don't recommend making your own chassis mods as it's so hard to get the front suspension mountings right. If you must mess around with it then don't even think of doing it without learning CAD and doing it that way.

HTH,

James

exmerlin2001

posted on 13/9/02 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that the Sierra 2litre twin cam was injected and produced 125 bhp? I assumed that this might not fit in a Locost? If not, why not, I thought that I had discovered the Holy Grail ???
Albert

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/9/02 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
the 2L twin cam is injected

its used in cars 89 on instead of pintos.

if its abused, it warps the head cos its alu. so dont abuse it and its ok. there seems to be bad press about warped heads.

seems that engine height is always an issue! why not go to your local scrappie with a measure and compare pinto and dohc heights. then you will know!

injection always seems to add height, so carbs are often used.

125 hp is the quoted power.

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.