Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Master cylinder pushrods
Slimy38

posted on 28/3/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Master cylinder pushrods

I'm looking at the hydraulics from my donor MX5, and the master cylinder pushrods are a little concerning. At the moment, they are attached to the pedals, having been pulled out of the master cylinders (brake and clutch). But I thought the pushrods should be retained? What's to stop them just falling out and dropping down if for some reason the pedal is allowed to come back too far?

Is it potentially an IVA fail to not have retained pushrods (circlip or similar)? Am I overthinking something that is perfectly normal?

adithorp

posted on 28/3/16 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Over thinking. Lots of cars have pushrods not retained at the cylinder. Once it's all together the pedals shouldn't return far enough to let them escape.

PS. Remember to adjust the pushrod length so you have slight free play when the pedal is at rest.

[Edited on 28/3/16 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Slimy38

posted on 28/3/16 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome, thanks.
MikeRJ

posted on 28/3/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
But I thought the pushrods should be retained? What's to stop them just falling out and dropping down if for some reason the pedal is allowed to come back too far?

The pedal should not be allowed to come back too far, you should have a stop installed to prevent this. Try pulling up on the brake pedal in a production car, it won't move.

Slimy38

posted on 28/3/16 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment my pedals are just bits of metal, but yes I was going to build in stops for fore and aft movement.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.