Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 'Rust' on alloy wheels?
Slimy38

posted on 30/7/16 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
'Rust' on alloy wheels?

I've just picked up a set of smaller alloys for my Mondeo. They're incredibly tatty, and one needs welding, but I did only pay £50 with usable tyres.

Anyhow, they're coated in what can only be described as rust. I mean proper copper coloured steel rust, not the white powder you get from aluminium corrosion. How is it possible, and what's the best way to clean it off?

At best I think it's years of brake dust. I was thinking of one of those surface preparation wheels in an angle grinder, then a coat of paint?

obfripper

posted on 30/7/16 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably from metal to metal pads and discs, i've seen it thick enough to chip off in lumps!
Proper acidic alloy wheel cleaner, or phosphoric acid will break down the rust, and leave the paint in it's current state.
If you're repainting, you'll want to clean off as much as possible before sanding down so you don't contaminate the alloy with iron particles that will react under the paint.

Dave

miskit

posted on 30/7/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
or someone was grinding/cutting a car up nearby esp if it was then humid afterwards.
Slimy38

posted on 30/7/16 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
or someone was grinding/cutting a car up nearby esp if it was then humid afterwards.

They were from a scrapyard so it's very likely.

The acid cleaner did a little bit, but mostly it revealed normal aluminium corrosion with dirt embedded in it. Looks like I'm back to normal flaking powdercoat/lacquer that needs a bit of mechanical 'encouragement'.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.