Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor Car shell disposal
dwebber597

posted on 2/8/16 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
Donor Car shell disposal

I've got to the point where i have stripped all parts i need to keep for my build off the car (mx5) and now need to set rid of the body. But every scrap collector i call to collect the car ask's for the v5

How do i get rid of it without chopping it into little pieces?

Thanks in advance

WallerZero

posted on 2/8/16 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Firstly you need to find someone who is a registered ATF (Authorised Treatment Facility). You then sign the car and V5 over as being scrapped and you will then receive a Certificate of Destruction. (I would keep a photocopy of the V5 for your reference as well anyway). When you apply for IVA/registration, you state the donor car was used and has been scrapped and attach the Certificate of Destruction.

That's the route I took building mine and didn't have any issues when registering my kit

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

loggyboy

posted on 2/8/16 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
DONT DO THIS. ^^^
It might have worked once, but once a car is scrapped its quite likely to become unusable as a donor.
Cut the shell up or weigh it in as scrap metal, not as a scrap car.

[Edited on 2-8-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

micksalt

posted on 2/8/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Chop it up, only three trips in an estate car

SelfAssemblyMX5
SelfAssemblyMX5

Slimy38

posted on 2/8/16 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I found someone who was fine to take the shell as just metal, I'd removed all identifying marks to keep the car in my name. I didn't get any money for it, and it did take a bit of searching, but I got there in the end.
MattD

posted on 2/8/16 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Cut the shell up or weight it in as scrap metal, not as a scrap car.

DO THIS.
Have done it twice in recent months at two different recyclers.... just take few photos for "proof" & remove its identity by chopping out the VIN plate(s), and keeping the number plates, V5 and don't forget to keep the vehicle SORN'd.

And I got paid both times, though I did have to take it to them - no chance of it being collected. Steel value is depressing low at the moment too.

And don't forget to declare CATs separately as they are worth extra $$ on their own.

[Edited on 2/8/16 by MattD]

[Edited on 2/8/16 by MattD]

loggyboy

posted on 2/8/16 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattD

Have done it twice in recent months at two different recyclers.... just take few photos for "proof" & remove its identity by chopping out the VIN plate(s), and keeping the number plates, V5 and don't forget to keep the vehicle SORN'd.

And I got paid both times, though I did have to take it to them - no chance of it being collected. Steel value is depressing low at the moment too.

And don't forget to declare CATs separately as they are worth extra $$ on their own.

And Alloy wheels/batterys.
Afew months back I weighed in a clio shell and a load of parts - 1.1 tonnes in total - got £30. Weighing in 6 old alloys at same time got me £35! and 1 large battery for £10.
3-4 years ago I weighed in a similar amount of steel and got £300.

Mistral Motorsport

ReMan

posted on 2/8/16 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MattD

And Alloy wheels/batterys.
Afew months back I weighed in a clio shell and a load of parts - 1.1 tonnes in total - got £30. Weighing in 6 old alloys at same time got me £35! and 1 large battery for £10.
3-4 years ago I weighed in a similar amount of steel and got £300.

Yep as above. keep the doner on SORN

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Irony

posted on 2/8/16 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I use a website called Freecycle to advertise unwanted stuff. I got rid of a nasty, oily, completely seized, left outside for 2 years engine via it. 10 people offered to come round and pick it up.
dwebber597

posted on 3/8/16 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. Keeping the V5 is definitely a must so i suppose i'll be chopping the cat up into little bits. Maybe an excuse for some mor power tools
micksalt

posted on 3/8/16 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwebber597
Thanks for the advice. Keeping the V5 is definitely a must so i suppose i'll be chopping the cat up into little bits. Maybe an excuse for some mor power tools

A most excellent excuse. I tried to do it with a 4 1/2" cordless grinder, but it was taking too long. 9" 240 V grinder had it sorted in less than half an hour

Hammy360

posted on 19/8/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
DONT DO THIS. ^^^
It might have worked once, but once a car is scrapped its quite likely to become unusable as a donor.

Spot on! If you scrap it officially you will have extreme difficulty registering on the reg plate

Hammy

Hammy360

posted on 19/8/16 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
DONT DO THIS. ^^^

Spot on! If you scrap it officially you will have extreme difficulty registering on the reg plate

Hammy

Alexd186

posted on 19/8/16 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Post a message on oval bangerchat somebody will take it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.