Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: overfilling kit cars with fuel
number-1

posted on 11/6/18 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
overfilling kit cars with fuel

I was behind a few kit cars yesterday and noticed that quiet a few had petrol marks under the filler cap. Some were pretty bad. Is this a common thing on kit cars?

I presume the auto shut off on the petrol station pump didnt shut off and its overfilled?

Is there a soloution.....apart from fill up and listen carfeully

adithorp

posted on 11/6/18 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
If they were 7s with filler on the back panel... It's common that they're difficult to fill, often getting airlocked and splashing back. That leaves stains down the panel.

Also with short necks fuel surge can easily get to cap height so if it's nothing a great seal it'll leak.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

leon51274

posted on 11/6/18 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes they are a right royal pain in the arse to fill without it splashing out the back.

It takes a bit of a knack and I just make sure I trickle the fuel in without brimming the tank.

Irony

posted on 11/6/18 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
When overfilled mine chucks fuel out the air breather. The breather tube wraps around the tank to prevent fuel spilling out in a roll over. However when the tank is full to brim the system doesn't work. Ideally I shouldn't crash with a full tank. Which is easy with a V8.
number-1

posted on 11/6/18 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hahaha V8s are uncrashable..... and yep, they were tiger avon/7 style cars

Isnt there something that can be done to stop this? Why does it stop on a normal car but not a kit car? Maybe google will help me answer this but id rather hear the locost reason

jacko

posted on 11/6/18 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
35l fuel tank over diff
35l fuel tank over diff

this is how i stopped mine doing what your asking about

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 11/6/18 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
When overfilled mine chucks fuel out the air breather. The breather tube wraps around the tank to prevent fuel spilling out in a roll over. However when the tank is full to brim the system doesn't work. Ideally I shouldn't crash with a full tank. Which is easy with a V8.

I’d fix that properly ASAP

You can set breathers up with roll over valves and one way valves, I have 2 breathers, one is a pressure out with a roll over valve and the other is an air in with a one way valve for when the tank empties.

I still need to be very soft when filling as it will spit back

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

AntonUK

posted on 11/6/18 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest, how much 'air space' should there be at the top of a typical 7 style tank. I typically try and leave an inch or two.

Build Photos Here

Irony

posted on 12/6/18 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

I’d fix that properly ASAP

You can set breathers up with roll over valves and one way valves, I have 2 breathers, one is a pressure out with a roll over valve and the other is an air in with a one way valve for when the tank empties.

I still need to be very soft when filling as it will spit back

I probably should sort it but the roll over valves are expensive and there is a great post on here about the wrap around method. Essentially the breather tube wraps around the tank so a part of the tube is always above the level of the tank. So in a roll over and the car is upside down the breather pipe in mine will be sticking straight up above the level of the tank. The system only purges fuel out when I overfill

jossey

posted on 12/6/18 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of cheap filler caps leak too. I've been on many trackdays where fuel is pissing out of the filler top when they accelerate. Mine included. I solved mine by reducing how much I fill it and moved the filler to the top rear boot lid. Also replaced the Chinese filler with a decent one.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.