Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing something tigersealed in place
gaz_gaz

posted on 29/12/18 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Removing something tigersealed in place

So I have a problem.

I tigersealed my rear carbon arch guards in place. Braced them in position and pissed off for a couple of days over Christmas.

1 of the guards has moved about 10mm while curing and now leaves a horrible cap where the guard curves to meet the body.
Does anyone know of a way to break down the PU Adhesive without wrecking the guard itself and ideally without ruining the rear arch and it's 3 stage pearl paint

Thanks

jossey

posted on 29/12/18 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I had to clean off a carbon cycle wing covered in tiger seal. Nail varnish and warming them worked but not perfect or quickly.

Good luck sorry I didn't find a easier solution

David

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 29/12/18 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use this material (PU) a lot, from additional support for a battery, to bonding panels etc. Once it's cured, it's a struggle to release the substrates.

A Stanley blade can be slid between the substrates, or there's a knife thing in the kitchen (long, thin, but wide thing with beautifully rounded end) that the wife uses for something. Gentle tugging and a careful slide in.

Acetone will degrade and release the stuff, great for alloy panels or gelcoated GRP things, but not for painted wheelarches....

Methylene chloride (dichloromethane) will also do the same thing, and damage, but I suspect you won't have access to it.

Mash

posted on 29/12/18 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe some careful use of piano wire, very thin (or top E metal guitar string) ?

Still going to be s0d though

bigwill64

posted on 29/12/18 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
remove

you used to be able to buy kent bond softening spray for removing windscreen bond its american you could try ebay or kent/wurth website. or you try silicon eater from screwfix
David Jenkins

posted on 29/12/18 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Would a hot air paint stripper gun thingy be any use? Maybe warm it up a bit before scraping?

Slater

posted on 29/12/18 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Make a 2ft garote from some MIG wire and 2 wooden dowells. Use it like a flexible saw. It will take a while to do and you will break the wire many times, just make another one. I bonded front cycle wings with sikaflex. This was only way to remove them. stanley knife method was waste of time.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Myke 2463

posted on 30/12/18 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Multi tool with 25mm serrated blade. easy.

Be Lucky Mike.

sdh2903

posted on 30/12/18 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Make a 2ft garote from some MIG wire and 2 wooden dowells. Use it like a flexible saw. It will take a while to do and you will break the wire many times, just make another one. I bonded front cycle wings with sikaflex. This was only way to remove them. stanley knife method was waste of time.

I was going to suggest this method but get some nylon fishing line instead of the mig wire to protect the paint.

nick205

posted on 30/12/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Not had to un Tiger seal two parts before, but applying heat will almost certainly help. A proper heat gun will be too hot and harm the paint, but SWMBOs hair dryer can help (used my SWMBOs dryer many times to apply warmth). Once the parts are warmed then gently pull them apart. If you get the parts separated then you'll probably need to carry on warming the Tiger seal and gently rolling it of to clean the surfaces.

Best of luck.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.