Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 VVT Fuel Pipe Layout
albertz

posted on 15/2/20 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 VVT Fuel Pipe Layout

Hi, I have been looking for a diagram of the fuel system layout for the MX5 1.8 VVT engine (2004, mk 2.5). It is confusing as the tank has two hose connections, but there only appears to be one connection to the fuel rail.

I’ve read that the lines tee together but I can’t work out where. Also I think only one pipe runs through the tunnel to the engine?

I’ve searched on here (and the net) and have seen others having the same problem, but I can’t see a conclusive answer or better still a simple diagram.

Is there anyone out there that could please clarify this by sketching out the layout, or describing it? It would be much appreciated.

JonBowden

posted on 15/2/20 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 2005 VVT 1.8 West of Glasgow (Alexandria).
If you are ever in this part of the world, you can come and have a look
This site has service manuals if it helps: http://www.mellens.net/mazda/

Jon

peter030371

posted on 15/2/20 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a simple deadhead fuel system to me, like this

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/jeep-hardcore-tech/1072857d1381971229-fueling-600hp-ls-cj7-fuel-pressure-regulator-diagram.jpg

Obviously they missed out the need for a fuel pump but you get the idea

[Edited on 15/2/20 by peter030371]

albertz

posted on 16/2/20 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, thanks for the replies. I have found a decent diagram on the mellens.net site. I have tried to include the relevant photo/diagram here but can’t work out how to do it!

Anyway, it appears that the engine uses a single fuel line straight to the rail, via fuel filter and pulsation dampers. I think there is a pressure regulator in the tank with an integral return/overflow within the tank. The second hose connection outside the tank I think is for some sort of fume return (?) from the charcoal canister. If I could post the diagram it would be clearer, but that’s what I think is going on.

JonBowden

posted on 16/2/20 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
This is a link to a picture of the fuel rail with the regulator attached.
I'd say that it is more like the first type in Peter's diagram
The small pipe is probably connected to the plenum to allow correction for varying pressure there.
But there are a lot of complicated air valves around this bit and I don't understand them.

So, high pressure fuel from the pump goes in to the hose on the left, the return to the tank comes from the big outlet from the pressure regulator on the right.
It's the little one that is a bit confusing

[Edited on 16/2/20 by JonBowden]

Jon

Angel Acevedo

posted on 16/2/20 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
For a Normally Aspirated engine, Charcoal canister would be OK.
I don´t think connecting to a plenum would be too much of a difference.
Going turbo then you are better off connecting to plenum as at high boost levels the injectors may not be able to flow enough fuel against plenum pressure.
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 16/2/20 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, the fuel rail on my car only has one connection, so I think mine is more like the second diagram.

If I can work out how to get photos off my iPhone and into my photo archive I can hopefully share a diagram that makes clearer what I am trying to say in my previous post. Any tips on iPhone to forum would be appreciated. Seems like the site doesn’t accept .png files (iPhone camera)?

Thanks for the help so far.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.