Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: airbag suspension
Simon

posted on 22/5/23 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
airbag suspension

I am restoring a Rover SD1 (VDP efi) and toying with the idea of airbag suspension - very much a budget version.

Planning on s/h parts as hopefully they'll be cheap.

From what I've read, it's the height based system over the pressure system I should aim for.

I'm sure there are a few on here who have a bit of info/advice on the system so ......

obfripper

posted on 23/5/23 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Are you looking at an aftermarket system, or repurposing an oe system?

Also, are you thinking of just rear bags, or a full system? The rear is easy, but airbag mcpherson struts are not a common thing, land rover, audi and Mercedes use front struts that have the shock passing through the airbag, but they act on the lower arm so are not able to be used for this purpose as they are not made to rotate.

There are aftermarket airbag mcpherson struts, but are far off being budget friendly.
https://intermotiv.com/air-suspension/universal-kits/stealth-universal-air-suspension-strut-package-short-23090

Dave

Simon

posted on 23/5/23 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah repurposed - there are "affordable" kits eg https://www.airmext.com/ but nothing that fits my current budget (as little as possible )

[Edited on 1 by Simon]

[Edited on 1 by Simon]

daviep

posted on 23/5/23 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rover Discovery 2 (1999 - 2004 ish) uses a WABCO system which looks as if it would be relatively easy to transplant into something else.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Simon

posted on 24/5/23 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Also been looking at RR P38 though a bit stuck on the front mcpherson struts but not in a rush

nick205

posted on 25/5/23 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
No knowledge of airbag suspension, so I'm curious.

What are the pros and cons over traditional springs/dampers?

Is it an easy was to lower cars?

Does converting a vehicle require and kind of inspection/certification?

Any MOT things to be aware of?

On the Rover (for example) will you have to modify the chassis/suspension components, fit an air compressor/guages?

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/5/23 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
not sur why you'd bother with this on such a car that was already decent on springs. Airbags have hardly a good reputation for reliability. If it's to lower the car doing so rarely if ever improves the cars handling or usably.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 25/5/23 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Nick,
I'm hoping I can do an "analogue" version.
Rear is fairly straightforward - will get some disco 2 rear bags (and modify the axle/car mounts to match), height sensors, along with the three valve blocks on a rr 3? The pump and tank will come from wherever cheapest secondhand. Front might be more difficult as has offset mcpherson struts so more investigating required.
Should help with body roll so might be better to replace live axle with irs😁

nick205

posted on 25/5/23 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Simon

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a "rest-o-mod" project rather than a staright restoration. Keep us posted with pictures as you go.

Mr Whippy

Have to agree, lowering a car very rarely improves things. Messes with the OEM suspension geometry (that they'll have spent time and money developing). Often, lowering springs seem to be stiffer too, which makes for a harsher ride. Many a 205 GTI owner back in the 80-90s was into lowering their ride. Easy enough on the front MacPherson struts, but the rear axle assembly was far more complex (beyond the scope of most home mechanics).

Simon

posted on 25/5/23 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Simon

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a "rest-o-mod" project rather than a staright restoration. Keep us posted with pictures as you go

Plan is to restore body to standard but make subtle upgrades/changes to non shell bits.

Eg, car came with nice grey leather with fake wood veneer - I may get these hydro dipped with a Barbon effect....

nick205

posted on 25/5/23 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Simon

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a "rest-o-mod" project rather than a staright restoration. Keep us posted with pictures as you go

Plan is to restore body to standard but make subtle upgrades/changes to non shell bits.

Eg, car came with nice grey leather with fake wood veneer - I may get these hydro dipped with a Barbon effect....

Nice touch - moving on from fake wood veneer is IMHO a good step forward!

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/5/23 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Should help with body roll so might be better to replace live axle with irs😁

changing the spring type or changing to irs will do nothing at all for body roll unless they are as hard as stone. The huge difference in old cars and modern ones in that area is the fitment of anti roll bars, fortunately they are such simple things you should be able to find one that fits off another similar sized car.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 26/5/23 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've used this company in Germany for air suspension parts several times. They've had parts available when dealers and parts factors here have said they were either unavailable or only as whole units/assemblies or at ridiculous prices.

Even though you might be planning to obtain used parts, their catalog might be useful to trace suitable parts and models to get them from.

https://www.miessler-automotive.com/?lang=eng

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.