Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC on a budget
DanR

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
BEC on a budget

I've been specing up a Megablade on Westfield's website. To build it using parts supplied by Westfield would cost about £10,000 + engine and gearbox.

It appears to be that the actual starter kits are very cheap but fitting the vehcile out is the expensive bit.

I'm guessing this is because BEC parts are very specific and cannot be easily found from donner vehicles or other cheap sources.

Is there a more cost effective means of building a decent BEC?

donut

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy for about £5-£6k. Speak to MK http://www.mksportscars.co.uk/

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
hey mate you could do an MK indy on a budget with a fireblade engine for about 6k its all the little things that add up that you dont think about when initially pricing up

its things like do you mind having the original ford wheels or do you want brand new team dynamics etc etc

put it this way my r1 indy with everything (a lot new) has cost me 7.5k at least

theres still some little odds and sods

I dont believe that I could knock any more than 1k of this price if I tried. and even then Id be using 2nd hand components which I personally believe your asking for it

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

fesycresy

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Budget about 7.5k for a nice example with say an R1 motor.

The basic kits are all very similar in price and are usually based on a Sierra donor.

Engine, loom and clocks from the bike, modified prop can be sourced from the kit supplier and a home made gear linkage (or bought) so no real problems sourcing bits.

Have a chat to Mark at MAC#1, he'll give you a full run down of all costs, they have module packages so no hidden extras.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Howlor

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

If you want I don't mind sharing my spreadsheet that I have produced as I have gone along. It should give you an idea of all of the little extra bits that people have mentioned above that tend to add up! For me it has mainly been electrical bits, wiring, switches, plugs etc. Drop me a line if you want the spreadsheet sending through.

Steve

andygtt

posted on 5/1/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Indy is possible for 6k... but I have made major savings and have donated free parts lying around the garage (wheels & tyres etc) and I'm heading for 6.5k so you'd have to be very careful to achieve less than me.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

locoboy

posted on 5/1/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I will be on the road for less than 4.5K with an R1 powered GTS Panther.

It helps when you can wait until you see bits coming up for sale at the right price and you'r not in a mad panic to buy things as you see them.

was thinking of selling at after my 1st summer of fun and making a few quid and using the profit to build a higher spec one.

ATB
Locoboy

zxrlocost

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a generally full spec and its cost the 7.5k
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

DanR

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
Hi,

If you want I don't mind sharing my spreadsheet that I have produced as I have gone along. It should give you an idea of all of the little extra bits that people have mentioned above that tend to add up! For me it has mainly been electrical bits, wiring, switches, plugs etc. Drop me a line if you want the spreadsheet sending through.

Steve

Would love to see that spread sheet.

One of the big costs (certain for a Megablade) appears to be the Freelander LSD differential. Are their alternatives, and are they worth pursuing?

zxrlocost

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
people use the sierra 3.62 diff of a xr4x4 sierra and the driveshafts etc

OX

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
my mk r1 cost me 6k give or take a couple of hundred,,the busa cost over 10k

sheds car (a very tidy mk indy r1)cost him 5500 ,,i think a lot of it depends on how long your willing to wait for a bargain

[Edited on 5/1/06 by OX]

zxrlocost

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
you can get 2nd hand parts to bring the cost down I just like the feeling of new parts being delivered freshly wrapped etc

OX

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
yes that would be nice,but it wont make you go any quicker but the only bits that were second hand were engine ,diff,brakes (reconditioned) ,steering rack and column,maybe a few others things just cant remember. a bit of lovin and a lick of paint and every thing comes up like new ,i dont know of any folk that have used 100% new stuff.youv got to much money dude
zxrlocost

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
lets not forget the 75 grand Ive had to give the girlfriend for treat money=weekend car time

locoboy

posted on 6/1/06 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I will be on the road for 4.5K in an R1 powered GTS panther.

It helps if you can wait until you see parts at the right price rather than buying them there and then because you need them.

I have bought everything i need bar a fuel tank and a prop shaft over an 18 month period - some of it stupidly cheap too.

Also second what OX says above, a bit of garage reconditioning is all thats needed to make things look up to scratch, and is far cheaper than buying new parts - i would be the first one to buy new parts if i had the money to do so though!

ATB
Locoboy

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Nice car in your avatar Dan- i used to have a 20VT that colour. I rather miss it now
froggy

posted on 6/1/06 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
so far my bek (bike engined kitten) has cost me £325 and looks every penny of it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.