Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The true cost of building an Indy
ed_crouch

posted on 15/1/06 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
The true cost of building an Indy

Chaps,

Firstly, this is NOT a whinge about MKs pricing: it seems pretty reasonable to me!

How much have people spent in total getting their Indys on the road??

i have priced up building an indy with a bog standard pinto (OK, so i priced it with the stainless exhaust, but thats it!),

second hand focus 15 inch wheels, and new instruments, seats, and harnesses.

It came out at getting on for £7,000 on the road.

Having read some build diaries and articles, this does seem like more than average.

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks,

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

Jon Ison

posted on 15/1/06 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need to post your pricing list because the spec you quote at £7k seems a bit ott.......was it stainless or gold plated the exhaust system ?

ed_crouch

posted on 15/1/06 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
Jon,

here is my pricing.

Sory ifits a bit of a long read...!

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

donut

posted on 15/1/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would say £5k to £5.5K would be a good estimate. The car i'm building now i'm trying to keep under £4k as the 2nd hand untouched kit plus a load of parts was £2800, guy spent £4k in total. I'm strugaling but it will be about £4k.

If you can get stuff of ebay cheap and are lucky then under £5k can be acheived.

[Edited on 15/1/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 15/1/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have spent about 3.5k so far and I estimate another 1 to 1.5k should do it That includes things like sealants rivnut gun and other sundries.
davidwag

posted on 15/1/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I must have mis-read the book, i'm sure it said you could build it for £250. LOL
Seems that average cost is 20 times this.

David

andygtt

posted on 15/1/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
The £250 is a complete myth and absolutelly impossible IMO.... the SVA is £150 alone.

I'm on target for £6-6.5k but thats with a bike engine and upgraded brakes and quite a few donated (i.e. free parts) from my garage loft like 17in wheels etc.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

bob

posted on 15/1/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I was SVA'd and on the road for under £5500.

Really it all depends on your spec list and how many deals you can do on the parts,also if you can make a part is it worth buying.

zxrlocost

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
my spec list is reasonably good and my r1 indy has cost me at least 7.5k

the problem lies in all the 30 pound 10 pound 20 pound things you dont think off

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

john_p_b

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
a shade under 5k on the road and that included a full rebuild on my pinto which set me back 500 quid in machining and parts alone!

all depends on how hard a deal you can drive and what seats, instruments, finishing touches you want. mine could have probably cost a lot less if i'd gone for lesser spec items but even at 5k it's well worth it as you'll never legally get that much fun for the money any other way!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

indykid

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
mine owes me 6 and a half grand for a true otr price. while nearly everything has been accounted for there are little bits i've missed off and all things bought from halfords will have staff or trade discount taken off. it works out similar to buying from a motor factors though.

as you can see, it's a fairly extensive list and includes the van to pick the kit up, the diesel for it, the trailer for sva - it all costs money, and you'd not spend it if you didn't have the kit, so it goes on the list.

in the end, it doesn't matter how much you spend, as long as you can be proud of it when you take it out. i built mine to a standard i'm more than pleased with, but for a nice one, you invariably have to spend more. that's why you can't get a ferrari for mr2 money

hth
tom

Johnmor

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
cost

Building a Viento
£4200 so far, at least £2500 to go.

ditchlewis

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Like you i set out to build a cheap Indy, but I went TOTALLY OTT. after the kit i bought a New pinto 2.1 from Vulcan engineering for £3.5K. After that every thing had to be new so I've spent more than £10K.

A fool and his money are easily parted but I think that i can now get an 06 Plate. and i have spent less than a caterham. At the time i was single and i wanted the car fast.

Beware of becoming to enthusiastic.

Ditch

Taz Surfleet

posted on 15/1/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
The £250 is a complete myth and absolutelly impossible IMO.... the SVA is £150 alone.
When the book was written this wasnt that unreasonable (if you could find 2nd hand shocks for a tenner) you could still do it the book build for less than £2,500 maybe haynes should review the title by adding a 0 !!

DIY Si

posted on 15/1/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently doing it 'by the book' (ish) and reckon I can build the entire thing and get on the road for under £1500. But I am building everything and using alll the donor bits i can find/salvage/nick from the local scrappy and my engine only cost £100.
Not short of effort, but I am short of cash, so it's all in the bargain finding at shows. Having said all that, i am planning to sell this car to fund a better, shinier, faster car next time round

ed_crouch

posted on 15/1/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies, chaps! I guess that maybe I need to be a little less scared of the bottom line figure (originally I was in it to build a Locost on the cheap, but wanted something with better resale value).

Also, the point about going to shows and bargaining is a good one.

Ta.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

Taz Surfleet

posted on 20/1/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
"If you can get stuff of ebay cheap and are lucky then under £5k can be acheived."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anyone noticed how expensive e-bay is becoming ??

andygtt

posted on 20/1/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
Like you i set out to build a cheap Indy, but I went TOTALLY OTT. after the kit i bought a New pinto 2.1 from Vulcan engineering for £3.5K. After that every thing had to be new so I've spent more than £10K.
Beware of becoming to enthusiastic.

Ditch

Nowt wrong with that IMO... building the car you want is much more important than how much of your cash you spend.

I set myself a budget of £5k purelly as it was an excercise to replace my Bike... I'm going to go past this a bit but purelly to get bits I think I need. I'm determined not to get carried away with this project the way my others have.

Also notice your not far from me... I look forward to seeing you car on the road.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

Jonte

posted on 21/1/06 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
With a quick currency conversion I spent £5800 on my build. £570 of that was fees to the state and other organisations to be able to drive it legally on the road.

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.