Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fiat 131
doinkmilll

posted on 22/3/03 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
fiat 131

which kitcars can be made from a fiat 131??
theconrodkid

posted on 22/3/03 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
i fitted a 131 lump to a caterham many years ago so will fit a locost no probs

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/3/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted to use one as my donor, but could not find one. Engine, box and rear axle will be fine, prop will need some thought (donut slider), you could even use the front hubs once you have fabricated a suitable adaptor to bolt in where the strut used to mount. The steering rack is mounted behind the front axle centreline, but this may not be a problem.
Electrics are a different matter, you could use the loom but it is not the best, better use something of a ford for reliability. You could even use the fuel tank, it is mounted behind the rear seats and usually look brand new even is the worst looking cars.
The twin cam engine is one of the best, a real screamer with loads of power considering its age, would need to be converted for unleaded though.

doinkmilll

posted on 22/3/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm

i own the full car,not just the engine..is that still ok?
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/3/03 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
with a bit of thought and cunning, you could use most of it except the front struts (and headlining!)
doinkmilll

posted on 23/3/03 at 04:59 AM Reply With Quote
hehe ok thx m8
Browser

posted on 23/3/03 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
I presume the bodywork is suffering from the usual tinworm? Just it seems a shame to trash a 131 'cos they're getting scarce. As far as tuning the engine goes there is an excellent book by Guy Croft on the subject which gives step-by-step details of how to do it and what sort of power outputs to expect.

doinkmilll

posted on 23/3/03 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
iF I COULD GET SILLS FOR MY 131 I WOULD LIKE TO RESTORE HER,BUT FINDING SILLS IS A REAL PROBLEM AT THE MOMENT
Mark Allanson

posted on 23/3/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to stop you using the 131 as a donor (I think it would make a real nice car!), but have you tried LMC Hadrian for sills, they do a massive selection. Try and find a motor factors that deal with them, have a look at the catalogue, they even do bits for FIAT 1100's, and I have never even seen one of those!
Nick Davison

posted on 24/3/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried the www.fiatmotorclubgb.org/forum
and asked on there for spares they are exceptionally helpful. If you are to use the 131 in a locost it is a good choice I have used a Lancia 2.0LTurbo which is the same engine. Guy's book is also good I have that and it is all that you will require plus more.
The Luego chassis for the Pinto will fit a treat. I can let you know about the prop shaft soon that is my next job.
Nick

johnston

posted on 24/3/03 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
131 bloody gd car look at my photo album theres my mates bombin down a stage and the engine is miles better than a pinto and a lot smaller and neater

but rear axle weighs a ton compared to the english or atlas

but lancia intergrale brakes fit on front a treat

if u do use it as a donor keep the shell and let me know i might know someone who will take it off your hands

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.