Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting rid of plundered donors
blueshift

posted on 8/8/03 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Getting rid of plundered donors

who can tell me roughly how much it costs to have someone come and drag away your donor once you've ripped lots of bits off it? We might end up with three donors, one of them rolling, the other two missing some rather important rolling parts (front uprights on the cortina, rear end on the sierra).
chrisg

posted on 8/8/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had a very smelly Granada towed away for a tenner.

Look to see if you have a local "Recycling Project" that's who took mine, although christ knows what they would have recycled that into!!!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

carcentric

posted on 8/8/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Turn yer lemons into lemonade

When you're down to bent, rusty sheet metal and stuff you can't sell on eBay, it's time to bring out the Sawzall (reciprocating hacksaw) and turn the car into scrap metal. If you're flush with cash, a plasma cutter works even faster, and makes smoke and fire while doing it!

Said scrap metal may be sold, or it makes dandy bits for welding practice. If nobody is willing to pay for it, find a metal sculptor - or whole college of 'em - and make a gift.

I saved an old car hood (bonnet) for making flat fiberglass sheets on, and the Porsche 914 trunk (boot) lid from my former race car is now an awning over the entrance door to my shop. We also have an end table whose base is a transaxle case (emptied out).

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/8/03 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
a scrappy with a flat bed truck and crane will take it. cost me 50 thou, but he said i could fill it full of crap like a skip! I recon cutting up a car would be a bit messy and you still have over half a ton of crap to take away in bits!

loads of people do it tho...

atb

steve

Stu16v

posted on 9/8/03 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
cost me 50 thou

Blimey! Next time you have scrap you want collecting, I'll do it for 40,000.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Ian Pearson

posted on 9/8/03 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Cost me £50.00, but it would probably be more now since the change in legislation.
JoelP

posted on 9/8/03 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
i only paid 20 for mine the other day! i did wonder why it was so cheap... a place in buslingthorpe if anyones in Leeds!
theconrodkid

posted on 9/8/03 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
try your local council,round here they have so many dumped they take them for nowt,or tow it to a local street and burn it like everyone else

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ChrisW

posted on 9/8/03 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I pay £20 to the chap who takes the untaxed cars away for the council. Cash only mind!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 9/8/03 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
20 is about what I was guessing. cheers fellas.

so, if we end up with 3 car shells, that's £60 worth of excuse to buy an oxyacetylene torch.. eeexcellent

mranlet

posted on 11/8/03 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
cut it up into little pieces and filch it into the rubbish or garbage pickup

Or, cut it up into strangely shaped pieces, weld together and sell it on eBay as "art"... I saw a rusted scrap metal "sculpture" sell for $40,000 a week or so ago. It helps if you call it something like "wasteful creation", " or "byproduct of genius"

It's worth a shot, if onbody buys it, then have it taken away

-MR

DaveFJ

posted on 13/8/03 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Paid £20 to have my stipped shell removed - local scrappy in Ipswich. (Whip street - if anyones local)
Sparky

posted on 13/8/03 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mranlet
cut it up into little pieces and filch it into the rubbish or garbage pickup

Once turfed an engineless but otherwise complete mini into the local dustcart!

Of course it helped that;

(1) I knew the driver, and
(2) He wasn't too concerned about 'job security'!

Gonna have to ring round the local breakers this time though.

I've kept my dead Sierra rolling by welding reversed wheels onto a shortened scaffold pole and passing it all through the trailing arms. I've gotta get it to the other end of a 70 foot gravel drive somehow!! Rescued attachment Sierra back on its wheels!.JPG
Rescued attachment Sierra back on its wheels!.JPG

JoelP

posted on 13/8/03 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
My 4x4 dragged a sierra with no wheels no probs. Really easy to get it out. Maybe a bit tricky on gravel though if it sinks!
Sparky

posted on 13/8/03 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Joel, the tricky part would be calming down the missus if the driveway looked like a re-enactment of the Normandy landings had taken place!!

If left on the ground, I guess the trailing arms on the Sierra would become a pretty effective earth-moving device, and there would be more gravel in the last five feet than anywhere else!! A proper gravel pit!

Oh, and that's if I could get any traction at all with the tow car!!

By the way, forgot to mention I've since slapped hub caps on the welded wheels, and think I may get away with calling it complete!!

What do you think?

ned

posted on 14/8/03 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
would have cost £35 for one car or £60 for two (parents had an old banger sitting around to get rid of) local scrappy out of yellow pages...

had to drag it out of the drive on the winch though and use the jack handle to help it up the ramps (no crane on lorry!)

ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 14/8/03 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
does it have front wheels? that may be a bit of a giveaway!

Either 4 lads carrying the front or do another bodge with a wheel! Maybe one of those towing dolly that lifts the front up?

blueshift

posted on 14/8/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
if you had a few logs kicking around you might be able to get medieval on its ass: roll it out on a bed of logs.

almost certainly a silly idea, but if someone did have ten 6' lengths of telegraph pole sitting around and a reasonably flat underbody, I'd love to see pictures of it done

tr

posted on 14/8/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I cut mine up into bite size chunks and dumped them down the local tip. It gave me the opportunity to drive about in the first open engined, convertible sierra.

I got bored towards the end though, I had the bulkhead and front wings to remove, so I pushed them into a van and took it to the scrap yard. The scrappy hadn't laughed so hard in years when we rolled up, he thought we were real live mentalists.

http://www.sync32.org.uk/mkindy/deconstruction.htm

You're youth has been miss-spent if you don't cut the roof off a sierra.

blueshift

posted on 15/8/03 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
Heh, nice photos.

I'm still trying to decide whether to buy an oxyacetylene torch and slice the cars up myself. we will potentially have three (cortina, sierra, rover).

Go on, someone tell me it's a good idea.

DaveFJ

posted on 15/8/03 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Once mine was stripped I found that four of us could easily carry the chassis complete out of the garage and place it on bricks at the end of my drive awaiting the scrappie's lorry....
(could probably have got away with two of us but at the risk of injury....)

eddie

posted on 15/8/03 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Remember some of those bits have a value to someone, Headlights and other lenses, bumpers, undamaged wings, doors, bonnet, boot lid and any other complete parts can probably be sold to someone as a job lot, even if you only got 30 quid, its some other nice thing to put on your car anyone thought of auto jumbling them...

Personally i'm going to borrow the still saw from work and drop many small peices of metal off at the local recycling point.....

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

Gremlin

posted on 16/9/03 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I know someone who had a little bit of land a small digger and a bit to much time on there hands and buried one in one of there fields!

Not sure how long that will be there for?

[Edited on 16/9/03 by Gremlin]

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

JoelP

posted on 16/9/03 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well thats certainly one option...!

Remember that chap who ate a light aircraft over several years, and many light bulbs whilst he was at it...

blueshift

posted on 17/9/03 at 03:22 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think eating or burial are particularly feasible options for us. don't fancy eating power steering fluid anyway.

Fortunately st albans council have a nice man with a crane who takes away cars for £23 so our worries are over (and my excuse to get an oxy torch.. bah)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.