Board logo

axle stands
theconrodkid - 18/11/15 at 07:15 PM

my axle stands are a bit old and wobbly (round tube with pins) so i have been looking for replacments.
anyone have these,are they any good etc ?.
ta muchly

Silverline Axle Stand Set 2pce - 3 Tonne Car Van Lift Mechanic Garage (763620)

RichieW - 18/11/15 at 08:18 PM

I've got an a identical (bar the paint job) set from machine mart. They are sturdy and well built but I found that they are actually a little bit too much on the tall side for use on an average car. They are more suitable for use on a van with greater ground clearance. I rarely use mine and resort to a nastily built two tonne folding set instead as the minimum height is a bit lower. I found I had to jack up the car to quite a height to use them. Depending on what you are doing this might be a good thing but for oil changes and the like where you just need a bit of clearance to get underneath they were too much for me.

cliftyhanger - 18/11/15 at 08:23 PM

Yep, I have those (again different paint!) and my jack will lift a car easily high enough to use them, however, make sure yours will. Otherwise there is a similar but lower version.

EDIT, looking again mine may be taller, but I am not off to measure them in this weather! Just check how tall you can effectively use. They work well.

[Edited on 18/11/15 by cliftyhanger]

britishtrident - 18/11/15 at 08:28 PM

Occasionally Lidl or Aldi have very nice collapsible stands more than up to the job for any car.

doofer - 18/11/15 at 08:54 PM

i have a visually identical set of four from snap on. i personally think they are great. i can get loads of height when working on a regular car and feel confident enough to climb over the car and get brutal when i need to lol, they also work damn well on my land rover defender, well worth the money

theconrodkid - 18/11/15 at 09:56 PM

cheers guys,ill get a set