Board logo

my first tig welds
whpracer - 27/2/05 at 08:35 PM

what about my first tig welds ???
I'v just bought a nice Kemppi master tig 3500. Witch I intend to use for welding the chassis. Rescued attachment 2005_0226Image0041.JPG
Rescued attachment 2005_0226Image0041.JPG

big_wasa - 27/2/05 at 09:26 PM

How much harder than mig/mag is it?????
I fancy having a go, I can use my mag but not properly yet.Im thinking of taking proper lessons at my local college in september...Iv always wanted to learn to weld alli............................

andylancaster3000 - 27/2/05 at 09:28 PM

They're great aren't they! So controlable. We've just (well last year) purchased one. The last couple of weeks i have been using it for my A-Level coursework. Very useful! Being the only type of welding (other then brazing) I have ever done I think i'll probably find it hard to use gas/mig/arc now...

Cheers,
Andy

andylancaster3000 - 27/2/05 at 09:35 PM

Having never used MIG before i couldn't compare. However I can say that having only played around for 25-30mins I was able to get decent, neat welds. However, I may need 'just a little' tutition before I go anywhere near Aly!

Hope this helps,
Andy

[Edited on 27/2/05 by andylancaster3000]

[Edited on 27/2/05 by andylancaster3000]

flak monkey - 27/2/05 at 09:52 PM

I had a go at TIG welding last year at uni. I started on steel, got the hang of it in about 15mins then went onto ali. (Remember you need an AC TIG welder to do ali to pull the oxide off). Ali isnt really any harder than steel, you just need to be a bit more gentle.

David

clbarclay - 27/2/05 at 10:31 PM

Am I right in thinking that TIG is like gas welding but with far more control of heat?

Should be easier to maintain a suitable molten metal pool, shoudn't it?

Mark Allanson - 27/2/05 at 10:49 PM

Even easier with a foot pedal, like a singer electric sewing machine!

flak monkey - 1/3/05 at 07:57 PM

Mark...thats what i was using. Its so easy once you get the feel of the pedal you are away, just small adjustments to keep the molten pool the right size. TIG is great. I think it generates more heat than MIG (as its slower to do) so you could introduce more heat distortion problems in the chassis....though i stand to be corrected on that!

David

Mark Allanson - 1/3/05 at 08:11 PM

The gas cools the surrounding area so the distortion is minimised

clbarclay - 1/3/05 at 08:13 PM

Thefel of the pedle?

Is the peble ON/OFF
Or variable output, push harder for more current.

flak monkey - 1/3/05 at 08:15 PM

The pedal is like the accelerator in a car...harder you push the more current you get.