Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 EDIS MS start!
scudderfish

posted on 16/5/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
V8 EDIS MS start!

It's alive! Bwah ha ha ha! I really need a jacob's ladder and a huge two blade switch on my garage wall.

Anyway, after realising that my coils were firing in the wrong order last night, I got it running today. It is not perfect though so yet more guidance is needed please?

I'm not convinced that my idle valve works. I've got another from Flack Monkey, but the pipework is much smaller so I haven't fitted it yet. I adjusted the idle stop on the TB to ensure some air would get in for cranking.

It sounds to me as if it isn't firing on all cylinders. I don't know what a V8 sounds like when that is true, so I thought I'd upload a video (http://picasaweb.google.com/dave.g.smith/MSEFI#5471887360663525218) so you could lend me your ears. I've also attached the MS log of that run in case that helps. The O2 is probably wildly out as I haven't got the MS and JAW digital display to agree with each other yet but I'm under the impression that the MS ignores the O2 during warm up.

Regards,
Dave

Paul (Notts)

posted on 16/5/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 16/5/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
happy day!

Definitely sounds like it's not firing on all cylinders. It should purr a bit more than that.

Have you checked for sparks on all 8, and squirts at all 8?

Great progress though - nearly there!

scudderfish

posted on 16/5/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have 4 injectors firing into a common plenum so if one packs up I may not notice. I'm checking sparks next. Unfortunately I can't do much more until Thursday now. My ignition leads don't have any slack in them, so I wouldn't be surprised by a lack of spark if one or more leads wasn't perfectly seated on the plug. I'll probably make up a new bracket for the packs so I can shift them a bit.
omega 24 v6

posted on 16/5/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
WELL DONE

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/5/10 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
excellent, just need a quick spark hunt and then you can destroy the rear tyres!
darrens

posted on 17/5/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely missing that and does sound like it's missing on two, so could very well be one injector that is iffy.

Is it standard V8, i.e no high lift cam etc. Even with a high lift CAM (which i have) it should be a pretty constant hum. Sometimes difficult to tell with one but that sounds like two.

Cheers

scudderfish

posted on 17/5/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote

This is an early picture of what I'm doing. The injectors are in the 4 barrel unit above the Offy 360 inlet manifold, so if the death of one was causing a misfire, it wouldn't be as regular (I assume). I suspect either a coil in my coilpacks which would take out two sparks, or just my inability to buy leads the right length as they are very tight and may not be properly seated on the plugs. I'm going to move my coil packs to relieve the tension.

It is a bog standard 3.5 V8 from a 1984 SD1.

[Edited on 17/5/10 by scudderfish]

Paul (Notts)

posted on 17/5/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Def sounds like two . Could be one side of a coil pack not working or poor connection to coil pack from eddis.
scudderfish

posted on 17/5/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've just gone over all my leads with a timing light and I have no spark on 5 & 8 which both share coil C. I'm going to swap the packs over to see if is my wiring to the pack or the pack itself.
scudderfish

posted on 20/5/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I should write this up properly as a guide of how not to do a MS EDIS V8 More wiring issues sorted out.

I've got sparks on all 8 now, but it still runs like a bag of spanners at idle and will die if I open the throttle. I need to check my timing to eliminate that as a variable.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Check that you've got all your plug leads connected to the correct terminals.

Mine behaved just like yours - started but ran rough and wouldn't rev above idle - until I swapped the leads for cylinders 2 & 3 (stupid x-flow firing order!).

scudderfish

posted on 21/5/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I could kiss you!

I had all the spark leads connecting the right plug to the right post on the coilpacks. However, in wiring a coilpack to the EDIS I had inadvertently swapped a couple of lines so it was really only running on 4. Swapped them over and off it purred! Actually it roared as I had the idle screw far too open and it idled at about 2500rpm.

It still dies when I open the throttle, and I have a leak in an exhaust joint, but I'm now getting fuel and sparks into each cylinder at the right time so the rest is mainly an exercise in mapping. Time for a celebratory cup of tea

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.