Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ship Engine Builders - Doxford
T66

posted on 24/1/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ship Engine Builders - Doxford

When men were men, and we made things called ships in GB

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons#The_Manufacturing_Process

AdrianH

posted on 24/1/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I may be wrong but believe the is one of their engines at Beamish in the engine sheds. certainly seen one in one of the old museum type places.

Adrian

[Edited on 24-1-12 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

T66

posted on 24/1/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well I didnt know that ! - Ive been a few times but have avoided certain bits of it due to the crowds.

In the early 80s I got taken to British Engines in Byker, it was fascinating.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Superb pictures! I'm quite amazed that oxy-acetylene can cut through such a thick bit of metal though.
britishtrident

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
South Tyneside College had/had the single cylinder engine that was prototype of both the P & J type it was/may still be in running order.
ISTR Glasgow Transport Museum have a cutaway model of 7 cylinder Doxford

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terry_wha/sets/690077/detail/ Link

"My name is William Doxford, I come from Sunderland,
And I make the finest engines built in all the land,
the top ends clang,
the bottom ends prang,
but the engine chugs away,
You have to oil the dammed thing 50 times a day."

[Edited on 24/1/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coozer

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
it was an amazing place, plus the whole banks down to the sea both side.

You can blame Thatcher for the demise, hope she rots in hell....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
When you think that the UK was once known as 'The Workshop of the World', it's heartbraking to see what successive Governments have done to us.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

britishtrident

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
it was an amazing place, plus the whole banks down to the sea both side.

In an effort to keep the Doxford company going the government ordered a fleet of fishery protection vessels off them powered by single cylinder Doxfords, the resulting Island Class ships were so under powered they couldn't keep up with fishing fleet never mind chase down a modern trawler.

As ship builders Doxford designed war time emergency standardised cargo ships that were the equivalent of US built Liberty ships, the US Liberty
ships were designed to take maximum advantage of the much more modern production methods available in the US but were heavily influence by the Doxford design.

[Edited on 24/1/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

coozer

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
When you think that the UK was once known as 'The Workshop of the World', it's heartbraking to see what successive Governments have done to us.

Yep, the Pallion yards are still there under an order by Thatcher that banned the production of ships on the Wear. A lot of unsuccseful bids to reopen it have been turned down by parliament and since they stopped dredging the river its a lost cause...

I remember the council doing a survey in the town centre for the use of the old Wearmouth colliery site, before the Staduim of Light was built there, and more than 60% put "A Colliery" on the form, no doubt a lot of the 4500 miners with nowt else to do...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AdrianH

posted on 24/1/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yea found the bit to back up my ageing grey matter

Talking of the railway station at Beamish wiki has the following statement:

The station is dominated by the Regional Museums Store (completed in 2002, and externally disguised as "Beamish Waggon and Iron Works, estd 1857", which Beamish shares with Tyne and Wear Museums. This houses, amongst other things; railway rolling stock and other vehicles; a large marine diesel engine by William Doxford & Sons of Pallion, Sunderland (1977); and several boats including the Tyne wherry (a traditional local type of lighter) Elswick No. 2 (1930).

Link off to website with picture

AdrianH

[Edited on 24-1-12 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Simon

posted on 24/1/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
A friend had cause to spend some time in a local (unionised) engineering firm and watched one bloke take 45 minutes to drill a couple of holes.

That, I suspect is more likely the reason we make no so much these days.

ATB

Simon

hillbillyracer

posted on 24/1/12 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I hear far too many stories about how the unions ruled the roost when it came to modernising work practice & prodution methods etc for there to be no truth in it. Easy to see with hindsight but there must have been folk back then that could see it too, if we dont modernise & become more efficient at the cost of some jobs then others will do it & get the work while we go to the wall & everyone loses their job.
blakep82

posted on 24/1/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

and probably labour for overspending before her. they're all as bad as each other....

there's still some ship building in britain though
http://inverclydenow.com/news/local/5847-around-100-jobs-to-be-created-as-ferguson-win-ferry-contract

i want to be a part of it! as soon as i heard i asked about these apprenticeships, and sent a CV, and written sort of application. they send me a acknowledgment for receiving my information, and said they'd contact me in a few weeks. will follow up next week with a email. not sure what it will say yet, but really just to remind them of me lol. fingers crossed. when i was little i always wanted to work in the ship yards, but when i was 8, i didn't realise they were all closing up here.
theres supposed to be more orders coming in following this apparently

[Edited on 24/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Nash

posted on 24/1/12 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
My Sister's Father in Law worked as a shipwright for Doxford all his life and when in his 70's (He died in his late 80's 10 years ago) The British Maratime museum called him. They had taken possession of an Engine with his name engraved on the crank and invited him to come down to London to help with its restoration.

Amazing. He was there for 3 months off and on and when it went on display he was invited to open the exhibit. It made his retirement.

I have to say he was a very skilled man and as I was working in Petro-chemicals as an Engineer in my early career we had some great conversations. I was choked when he left me a load of tools in his will.

A true Gentleman Craftsman.

......Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

Simon

posted on 24/1/12 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
We build quite a lot of superyatchs too. Princess, Sunseeker, Oyster to name but a few

ATB

Simon

norfolkluego

posted on 25/1/12 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
|How do you start an engine that big, surely not a starter motor or is the starter the size of a bungalow
rb968

posted on 25/1/12 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Where I live we still make those (not so) little things that go under the water......and occasionally run aground....but we don't talk about that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/articles/2008/02/12/bae_ambush_2nd_sub_08_feature.shtml

Been a while since we did a surface ship to be honest. They've got rid of and then rehired most of the skilled labour a few times now.

Rich

T66

posted on 25/1/12 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
Well my middle brother worked for the Port of Tyne in the 1970s, engineering apprentice. Started off in the docks on the haulmasters & fork trucks, then did a spell on the dock cranes, and for the final bit of his apprenticeship, worked on the dredger on the Tyne.

Its still there - The Hedwin.

He now works in a shipyard in Batam, Indonesia - Has 1500 people building ships for him !

Thats £9750 an hour, if the 1500 all get paid the minimum wage of £6.50 an hour - I very much doubt it costs £9750 an hour to run an Indonesian shipyard.

Thats why we dont build volume ships anymore - economics (profit) not unions....

dave r

posted on 25/1/12 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
|How do you start an engine that big, surely not a starter motor or is the starter the size of a bungalow

all the ones that sort of size ( slightly smaller) i have experience with have been compressed air start

all those pictures are wrong!!!!... there isnt enough swarf about

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

britishtrident

posted on 25/1/12 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
One hell of a lot of compressed air directly into the cylinders, by slow speed marine 2 stroke diesel standards Doxfords we not biggest around when they started to put diesels into VLCCs and ULCCs in the mid 1970s in place of steam turbines slow really big engines were required.

Here is a big Sulzer that dwarfs anything from the Doxford era.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 25/1/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Well my middle brother worked for the Port of Tyne in the 1970s, engineering apprentice. Started off in the docks on the haulmasters & fork trucks, then did a spell on the dock cranes, and for the final bit of his apprenticeship, worked on the dredger on the Tyne.

Its still there - The Hedwin.

He now works in a shipyard in Batam, Indonesia - Has 1500 people building ships for him !

Thats £9750 an hour, if the 1500 all get paid the minimum wage of £6.50 an hour - I very much doubt it costs £9750 an hour to run an Indonesian shipyard.

Thats why we dont build volume ships anymore - economics (profit) not unions....

Also the yards we had didn't have locations suitable for building ships of over 100,000 tons, and while new yards could have been built in coastal locations such as Nigg Bay the political will wasn't there and labour relations problems would surface again.
The other problem was quality by the time the 1960s and 1970s came around the quality of both design and workmanship in British built ships was crap, the yards had aquired bad habits in the years of WW2 when we were so desperate for ship that anything that floated was acceptable.

By the end of the 1960s in Japan and Korea ship builders like Mitsubishi, Mitsui and Kawasaki were building top quality tankers that were launched on time without teething problems at 2/3 the cost of a UK built ship.

[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 25/1/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not a single pair of goggles, gloves or PPE between them! I wonder if they were asked to remove them for the photos - or, more likely they were never asked or expected to wear them!
chrisxr2

posted on 25/1/12 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
ahemm

We still build a lot of big engines and generators in this country, perkins are a good example another company in peterborough i used to deal with build generators for ships the size of houses.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Neville Jones

posted on 25/1/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
We build quite a lot of superyatchs too. Princess, Sunseeker, Oyster to name but a few

ATB

Simon

Those plastic things are babies, and cannot really be considered 'super' by todays standards, just pretty. Anything under 50m is a tender nowdays, all far too common. The real Superyachts are built in Holland and Italy. And strangely, Wisconsin at Palmer Johnson. Also a few built in Algarve region. The west country boatyards do a lot of maintenance and refurbs on them though. A local designer has his designs built in Italy, and a prominent NZ designer who's lived in Ireland for over 30 years, has his built in NZ.

Cheers,
Nev.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.