Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is welding gas considered 'essential travel'?
Slimy38

posted on 9/4/20 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is welding gas considered 'essential travel'?

I seem to have entered this lockdown with the tiniest amount of welding gas. I just know as soon as I start doing some welding it's going to vanish. But I've got no idea how to get any more.

It's an Adams Gas refill bottle, with a supplier about an hour away. But it's a small one man band and I suspect he'll be closed. Delivery will be from the same place.

I did think about those small disposable ones, but they last a few seconds if memory serves. And I can hardly pop down to B&Q and get some.

Can I do anything, other than wait it out and perhaps do gardening instead (not that we can get any compost or lawn seed either!).

rusty nuts

posted on 9/4/20 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Some motor factors can supply welding gas but probably Adams gas but if your nearest supplier is an hours drive away I would suggest using motor factors who might deliver. Our local branch of ECP are delivering but branches aren’t open to customers others may also be delivering
big_wasa

posted on 9/4/20 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I emptied mine a few weeks back doing a build stand. I don't think I will be getting any this month.
CosKev3

posted on 9/4/20 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you can get any en-route to work or getting essential food you are buggered
Simon

posted on 9/4/20 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest contacting Adam's gas directly and see what they can do.
rusty nuts

posted on 9/4/20 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just googled welding gas in Wolverhampton. shows GH Myatt Ltd, are Adams gas suppliers, are they your suppliers?

Car spares distribution are hobbyweld suppliers, might be worth considering even if you have to pay a new deposit?

[Edited on 9/4/20 by rusty nuts]

taylormade100

posted on 9/4/20 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have just had the same problem and went for flux cored mig wire so I do not need gas for a bit.
Slimy38

posted on 9/4/20 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Just googled welding gas in Wolverhampton. shows GH Myatt Ltd, are Adams gas suppliers, are they your suppliers?

Car spares distribution are hobbyweld suppliers, might be worth considering even if you have to pay a new deposit?

[Edited on 9/4/20 by rusty nuts]

Aye, that's the guy, but I'm on the wrong side of Wolves to him (hence the long drive).

Not thought of Hobbyweld, and there's one that's quite close to home (Dale Gas company). I don't mind paying another deposit, it's certainly better than paying through the nose for disposable tanks.

[Edited on 9/4/20 by Slimy38]

Slimy38

posted on 9/4/20 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by taylormade100
Have just had the same problem and went for flux cored mig wire so I do not need gas for a bit.

I still have 99.9% of a reel of flux cored stuff, I bought some by accident and tried it... hated it... put it away, never to be used again...

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/20 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I went to Halfords yesterday to get paint... Ordered online picked it up at the shop front door. Not any more risky than going to the coop for some milk.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 9/4/20 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
BOC will deliver.
Their prices aren't too bad, although I think they have just put up their cylinder rental quite a bit.
Car spares are considered essential, so I would have thought that welding gas would be similarly essential

[Edited on 9/4/20 by JonBowden]

Jon

coyoteboy

posted on 9/4/20 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I went to Halfords yesterday to get paint... Ordered online picked it up at the shop front door. Not any more risky than going to the coop for some milk.

No, but is a risk to you and to others, and absolutely isn't necessary. This is selfish.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 9/4/20 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Technically you'll be able to get some as they'll be open to serve garages fixing cars.

Pub gas will do for mig work, beer suppliers probably aren't open..

Should you? Your decision. But I've family and friends working in the NHS. I ain't going anywhere if I can help it. I'm not even riding my bike as it increases my chances of being in an accident. You might think that's extreme but a friend was knocked off her bike 2 weeks ago and it made me think.

BenB

posted on 10/4/20 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon a few pubs might be more than happy to lend you a cylinder given their current income streams being somewhat limited.
paulf

posted on 10/4/20 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
C02 fire extinguishers also work if you can adapt the regulator to fit,I obtained a few out of date extinguishers from work years ago and am still using them.
Paul.

sdh2903

posted on 11/4/20 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
There's a fine balance here. You have one side who stick to the rules meticulously and then look down on anyone else. And the other who are flouting the rules on a daily basis and don't give a toss.

I am furloughed so am staying home other than dog walking and grocery getting. But stuck at home I need something to do to occupy my mind so yes I've been 'guilty' of a couple of visits to toolstation for supplies.

Is it essential for me to finish my decorating? Hell no. Is it essential to keep myself productive and busy? To me yes its essential for my own mental wellbeing.

If the supplier/shop is open then being careful and taking precautions then I'd go for it.

Dealing with the idiots in supermarkets is 1000 times more dangerous than going for a bottle of gas.

JeffHs

posted on 11/4/20 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a free gas voucher from BOC that expires May 1st. I've been wondering about chancing a visit but as I'm officially in the
old and vulnerable category. I guess I'm gong to have to kiss that goodbye.

jps

posted on 11/4/20 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
There's a fine balance here. You have one side who stick to the rules meticulously and then look down on anyone else. And the other who are flouting the rules on a daily basis and don't give a toss.

I am furloughed so am staying home other than dog walking and grocery getting. But stuck at home I need something to do to occupy my mind so yes I've been 'guilty' of a couple of visits to toolstation for supplies.

Is it essential for me to finish my decorating? Hell no. Is it essential to keep myself productive and busy? To me yes its essential for my own mental wellbeing.

If the supplier/shop is open then being careful and taking precautions then I'd go for it.

Dealing with the idiots in supermarkets is 1000 times more dangerous than going for a bottle of gas.

Agreed, on all points!

JonBowden

posted on 11/4/20 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with jps and sdh2903
We all need to be responsible, sensible and considerate

Jon

johnH20

posted on 11/4/20 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I got some as part of an order from Weldequip ( 0845 6044204 ). Small bottles of course but delivered in 24 hours so kept me going.
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/20 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

Totally agree. Halfords is not allowing you in the shops, you order online, get a time to collect, it's there waiting for you. I can see this lock down lasting months, we're going to have to work out how get on with life while staying safe.

[Edited on 12/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 13/4/20 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
OK so I'm curious.

Why are people in supermarkets idiots ?

Slimy38

posted on 13/4/20 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
OK so I'm curious.

For me, it started the first time I was in the supermarket during this time and heard over the tannoy;

'please treat the staff with respect, any unwelcome behaviour will not be tolerated'.

Under no circumstances should the operator have needed to make that announcement.

I don't think the statement was intended to be 'all people who go to supermarkets are idiots', but while these events are bringing out the good in most people, it's also bringing out the bad in the few.

sdh2903

posted on 13/4/20 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
OK so I'm curious.

Apologies, it should have read 'some of the idiots'. So far I've seen.

- full families doing the weekly shop, 2 adults plus kids, (understandable for single parents with young kids.) And kids running around the stores unsupervised.

- people stood in the queue to enter the store complaining about said queue

-pratts stockpiling enough loo roll and pasta to last a lifetime and even skirmishes among customers trying to grab the last few items.

-last visit saw a staff member being berated because they didn't have stock of brand xyz (other brands of item were available) although the customer was soon reminded of their behaviour by lots of other shoppers which was good to see.

-stood in the queue the other day to check out and the guy in front had a crate of Stella and an Easter egg and that was it! He'd queued outside for 25 mins to even get in the shop, should have at least made it 2 crates to make it worthwhile!

-numerous occurances of people picking items up, giving them a squeeze inspection then putting them down as they've changed their minds.

-at our local co-op store they only have narrow aisles so when the shelves go bare they lock the door for 30 mins or so and all the staff rush to re stock the shelves of essentials. Yet again a pillock outside banging on the door saying this is ridiculous I only want a loaf. Why can't you stock shelves while your open?

The list goes on.

So my prepaid click and collect at toolstation picked up from a table at the store entrance with no close contact required is a much more safe sensible experience.

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/4/20 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm can't say my visits to asda have been that bad but I think click and collect to time slots, combined with home deliveries is the safest option currently. I still order a lot of parts online and we wear gloves to remove them from the packaging.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.