Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CANAMSA engine in - AND RUNNING!
Fred W B

posted on 29/10/05 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
CANAMSA engine in - AND RUNNING!

Starting to look like a car now. Just ignition system to fit, prime oil system and add water and fuel before I can start it.

Cheers

Fred WB
29oct05 engine in
29oct05 engine in

[Edited on 7/11/05 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 12/11/05 by Fred W B]

tadltd

posted on 29/10/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent work, Fred! Where'd you get those wheels? They look steel...

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 29/10/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Spectacular.

I can sense the tension from here.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 30/10/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys

Steve - The wheels are steel, 15" in 7 and 8 J cheap aftermarket type usually sold for landrover etc. I modified the centres to ford fitment and had them painted. The right thing would be 8 and 10" Halibrand replicas, but my budget can't accomodate (250 pounds per wheel!)

Cheers

Fred WB

[Edited on 30/10/05 by Fred W B]

Alan B

posted on 31/10/05 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
MMMMMMMMM...

Nice...

Fred W B

posted on 7/11/05 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
So, did I start it this weekend?

No.........almost, but no. What held me up?

Friday (evening) - Wire MSD ignition system, make up plug leads, rework some oil plumbing.

Saturday (full day) - Fill water system. Fit carb throttle linkage and make up throttle cable and bracket. Go out to get can of fuel. Remove battery from road car, fit to CANAMSA, test fuel and water pump. Sort some water leaks. Fiddle with some dashboard pilot lights. Find No 1 cylinder TDC. Fill engine, filter and cooler with oil, prime, (driving old distributor with drill) eventually get oil pressure, sort some small oil leaks. Fit MSD distributor, try to set timing, can't find spark! Battery goes flat, put on charge, retire depressed.

Sunday (half day) - Recheck MSD wiring, find spark! Try to turn engine, no go on starter, is wiring correct? Remove starter (lousy job on RV8 without access from underneath), test. Replace starter, no go. Remove starter, drop on finger, retire hurt. Take wife out for meal. Go on "locostbuilders.com", find info re correct starter wiring.

Monday (early morning) - raining, replace road car battery in order to get to work.

Cheers

Fred WB

sgraber

posted on 7/11/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Awwww maaaaa-nnnnn.....

But be reassured that it WILL start. And it will start the next time you work on it. It's all there now. You are so close!

Your description brought back a flood of memories. http://newtier.vo.llnwd.net/o1/misc/graber/videos/bala_runs_1st_time_low.mpg

Steve Graber

suparuss

posted on 9/11/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
hope you get it sorted fella. looking very good too cant wait to start seeing body work taking shape!

Russ.

Fred W B

posted on 12/11/05 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Today I sorted a problem with the starter solenoid and bolted the starter motor back in. Reprimed the oil system. Fitted distributor, with estimated timing. With plugs out, the motor finally turns over on the starter and the plugs spark. Put plugs back in. Connect jumper cables to another car to help battery, turn on the fuel and water pumps. Prime carb.

Push starter button, while jiggling throttle on carb. Motor turns for a while, one cylinder catches, stumbles, some more chime in and she fires up!!!!!!!! Cue barking neighborhood dogs as I blip the throttle while shouting and laughing in excitement. It sounds FANTASTIC! It even settles down to a nice 800 rpm idle. Motor doesn't seem to smoke at all, with nice 3 bar oil pressure. Am I chuffed or what????

See obligatory cheesy grin.

Cheers

Fred WB

12nov05 started!
12nov05 started!

gutball

posted on 12/11/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sweet!

Congrats, you must be a happy chappy!

Spyderman

posted on 13/11/05 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you recorded it for us all to find inspiration from?

Spyderman

Rorty

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:39 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Fred. I'd get another wheel for that car if I were you before you try driving it.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

sgraber

posted on 14/11/05 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Sweet!

Just looking at that exhaust and one can imagine that the sound is simply awesome. Enough to set off car alarms driving down my street I am sure! whooo. Love it.

Steve Graber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.