Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front end
lexi

posted on 13/9/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Front end

Now that I`ve made another set of curved top bones to accomodate a set of 2.25 springs. I have to make and fit a bracket top mounting.
The frame etc is on a stand so if I set bottom bones in a level position, how much thread is shown as an optimum? Is shock set at about half? I`ve forgotten everything about all this and I knew nowt to start with
Alex

JoelP

posted on 13/9/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
there is no definate answer as there are so many types of shockers out there, and different weights of car.

Measure the open length, take a guess at the approximate corner weight of your car, work out from the spring rating how far that corner should settle, combine with the length to work out the compressed length, and make length of square tube with holes in to represent the shock, and use to tack it in place. You will be able to adjust the spring platform a bit to correct ride height.

Did you have any preload on the spring before the operation? Decide if you liked it and want to keep it, if you are not bothered for preload, put the bracket maybe 1cm ish lower (ie the car will sit higher), as you can then lower the spring. Obviously if you want to preload the spring then the compressed length is not changeable.

[Edited on 13/9/06 by JoelP]

lexi

posted on 13/9/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Joel. I believe the springs that are in these Spax are 280lb so will need changing for an orthodox book car.....Yes?Don`t know where that leaves me with the mounts and getting a rolling chassis . I could use the tubes for the mo.
Alex

lexi

posted on 14/9/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
When Uncle Ron talks about open length14" and closed 10" is that the nominal with the spring removed. With the spring in and all my threads showing and lower bone set slightly below horizontal, my top coilover eye is still 2" above top rail. Wide shoulder on 2.25 spring unit makes it tricky to customise a mount for this. Any comments appreciiated.
Alex

leto

posted on 15/9/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC a damper unit 10” long at ride hight will get you a pretty good hit on the upper rail, if the lower wishbone is by the book.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.