Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My current project
Alan B

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
My current project

For those who asked...

Some pics of my curved tube mid-engined 3-seater.

Yes, it's a long way from finished.
Yes, curved tubes are structurally bad.
Yes, the workshop is untidy.
Yes, Preston North End will probably slip down the table after the brief stay on top.
Yes, I should have finished the Meerkat first.

Fire away...

New frame 1
New frame 1

New frame 2
New frame 2

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ecosse

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Looks interesting, I like the way the bottom rails run the length of the chassis and provide the bottom wishbone mounts.
How did you put the curve in the tubes and what are you doing for the body, fiberglass or ally panels, or Atom style?

Cheers

Alex

DIY Si

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Are the two top front bars/tubes supposed to have dented ends?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Alan B

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Alex,

Thanks for the comments.

If you look at the thread (my shelved middy project) I have a picture of the tube roller I made..it's basically 3 wheels (rollers) and an old machine vice.

Bodywork will be absolutely minimal...done enough GRP for one lifetime already..LOL

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Are the two top front bars/tubes supposed to have dented ends?

They are not supposed to, no, but it doesn't matter as left them over length (for set up and measuring purposes) to be trimmed later.

Good spot though...

Cheers,

Alan

iank

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes, the workshop is untidy.

<sarcasm> And very cramped </sarcasm>

Looking good.

arrybradbury

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good! Will that really seat 3 people?? Or is there still more to add??
Alan B

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Showing 3 seats...

[img][/img]

GavBurns

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Curved chassis, Minnimal bodywork. It sounds familiar to an Ariel. Is this the inspiration?
I like the idea of 3 seats!

Go BEC you'll never look back (literally)!!

JoelP

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
i like the front suspension mounts, tidy. The bar bending must've taken some effort to get the precise curve!
Alan B

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GavBurns
Curved chassis, Minnimal bodywork. It sounds familiar to an Ariel. Is this the inspiration?
I like the idea of 3 seats!

Only partly Ariel inspired.....proir to that I'd seen a few sandrails (buggies) with big radius curved tube construction....also the Mac F1 seating arrangement comes into play.....so quite a mix really and hopefully a few new things to throw in......

Alan

Alan B

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i like the front suspension mounts, tidy. The bar bending must've taken some effort to get the precise curve!

Cheers Joel,

Actually the tube rolling turned out easy...a few tricks, but actually easier than regular small rad. bending.

Alan

Wadders

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good Alan. Can i ask do you suffer from severe insomnia, there must be some explanation of how you manage to fit so much into 24hrs
ecosse

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
If you look at the thread (my shelved middy project) I have a picture of the tube roller I made..it's basically 3 wheels (rollers) and an old machine vice.

Bodywork will be absolutely minimal...done enough GRP for one lifetime already..LOL

Alan

The tube bender looks great (don't know how I managed to miss that post) if you don't mind me asking, do you push the tube through the mandrels somehow, or do you bend a section at a time and hand feed it?
And is the bending pressure all done via the vice?
Although the end result looks great however you do it

Cheers

Alex

sgraber

posted on 3/12/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
That's gonna be really, really neat!

What will you be using for uprights? Custom?

I am in need of some large radius tube bending. Will you make plans available for your machine? Or be kind enough to impart the part numbers and general assembly info?

Thank you!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

akrallysport

posted on 3/12/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Alan has posted a pic of his bending setup in the following topic... http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=56045 (about 2/3 of the way down). Just to give you some idea of what it entails.

StevieB

posted on 3/12/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good.

But you're right about the messy workshop - I don't know how you manage to work in such untidy conditions

andyd

posted on 3/12/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

Are those front suspension mounts just welded in between the tubes or does the tube go through the brackets?

Andy

Alan B

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good feedback, good questions.

Some answers:

Tube roller construction:

One old or cheap machine vice
Two welded brackets that fasten to the vice in place of the jaws.
Three Rollers which are vee wheels straight from the McMaster Carr catalog (around $14 each IIRC)
One handle mounted on the single wheel.

Tube roller operation and notes:

Place the tube in rollers and tighten to a very slight grip...move tube to one end (you can't reach all of it so you must design a 6" (or so) straight length at each of your part or make it longer and trim the ends.

Then tighten up the vice a little and wind the tube with the handle (mangle style) to the other end...then tighten the vice a liitle and wind it back....and so until you have the radius you need.

I machined the wheel to try and match the actual tube radius this seems more important the more wall thickness to OD ratio of the tube you roll reduces. The result of vee only or bad matching on relatively thin tube is marking and distortion especially on the inside (logical I guess)....e.g. 1" x 16g rolled easily in vees with minimum distortion whereas the 1.5 x 16g benefitted from a matching radius.
Bottom line..radiussed wheels do a better job, but aren't always essential.

Uprights:

Yes, custom fabbed. using the bolt-in Chevy Cavallier hub unit all round.

Front suspension mounts:

Yes the tube goes right through them...so it's vital to remember to slip them on during assembly....Can't take credit for the idea though..it's an old TVR trick.

Insomnia:

Eh?..what?..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ecosse

posted on 4/12/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tube roller details, bloody brilliant IMHO

Is the suspension geometry and design your own or does it have the traditional locost basis?
And last question (you will be wishing you hadn't asked ) do you have any intentions to produce these or sell plans or anything?

I look forward to watching your progress with it.

Cheers

Alex

Syd Bridge

posted on 4/12/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, p155 on those who want to knock you Alan!

An excellent effort, even if the suspension geometry is not what I would use.

The smart ones would have spotted, and be very envious of that Miller TIG machine in the background.

Cheers,
Syd.

sgraber

posted on 4/12/06 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info on the bender. I agree, it's simple beyond belief and brilliant in concept. It must have been done before! (Because nothing is original, ever)

Will the Meerkat body fit on that chassis? If not, what are the overall dimensions? Track, wheelbase?

Which Honda powerplant is that? Is it the hybrid?

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Alan B

posted on 4/12/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ecosse
Thanks for the tube roller details, bloody brilliant IMHO

Is the suspension geometry and design your own or does it have the traditional locost basis?
And last question (you will be wishing you hadn't asked ) do you have any intentions to produce these or sell plans or anything?

I look forward to watching your progress with it.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex,

Yes, the front suspension is traditional unequal length wishbones (locostish).
Yes, the plan is to definitely do something with finished product...but there is a long way to go.

Alan

Alan B

posted on 4/12/06 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
Ah, p155 on those who want to knock you Alan!

An excellent effort, even if the suspension geometry is not what I would use.

The smart ones would have spotted, and be very envious of that Miller TIG machine in the background.

Cheers,
Syd.

Hi Syd,

What would you do geometry wise?

Good spot with the Miller...

Alan

Alan B

posted on 4/12/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Thanks for the info on the bender. I agree, it's simple beyond belief and brilliant in concept. It must have been done before! (Because nothing is original, ever)

Will the Meerkat body fit on that chassis? If not, what are the overall dimensions? Track, wheelbase?

Which Honda powerplant is that? Is it the hybrid?

Hi Steve,

The three roller method is pretty much standard practice...adapting the idea to be cheap was the only clever bit..

The Meerkat body probably would fit, although I couldn't say for sure without some checking.

The engine in the background is the Honda I-VTEC......gotta love E-bay..LOL

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.